[SOLVED] Why certain LESS demanding games make the fans go loud (along some background processes)

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
Hi, I just bought an MSI GF65 Thin 9SEXR. I was a bit puzzled at first by how and why the fans would get noisy for apparently no good reasons, I managed to "tame" it by fiddling with windows and processors (wich triggered the fans / made the CPU temp go up), or so it seems to me now. The only odd behaviour I still see is fans getting loud (my guess, the CPU heats up rather than the graphic card), when playing games that AREN'T really demanding, for exemple : Deponia and Shaolin vs Wutang (especially that one). I played without noticable noise sessions of, say, Bioshock Inifinite or Hitman 2 or Portal 2. But then again, it seems like the same behaviour as the loud fans triggered when simple background processors were running. Could anyone explain this to me, and even better, offer some possible workarounds ? Thanks !

Solution
If it is any useful for anyone, here is my workaround: I reinstalled Dragon center 2, and by using the "eco" mode (under"shift") combined with the fan speed "basic", I managed to suppress the noise completely in Deponia and to tame it somewhat in Shaolin vs Wutang (the only other change I noticed here were slightly longer loading times, no slow down during fights). Guess I'll be using that trick next time a similar cases presents itself.

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
Thanks for your quick reply ! i actually uninstalled DC because I found cumbersome to check which power/fan profile I was on depending on what I was doing, or couldn't really figure what all those settings did... I found then a smaller MSI app called "silent option" and installed it.
Silent option actually displays 2 fans, one for CPU, the other for GPU, are those the one you meant ? I noticed the GPU fan was always on zero by default (at least when working from the desktop) and made a new set up to have it work a bit (wasn't any louder overall/or quieter after that, I think, but could be there was an improvement).

Now, if you have good arguments for me to reinstall Dragon center, I am listening :) But the fan noise kicks in loud regardless of the fan curves setting anyway, like there is some safe override. Sometimes it gets louder just because of some install running, simple as that. But what bothers me are those games. i even tried Crysis today and it was quieter than this indy fight game Shaolin vs Wutang !

Litote77

Commendable
May 23, 2020
If it is any useful for anyone, here is my workaround: I reinstalled Dragon center 2, and by using the "eco" mode (under"shift") combined with the fan speed "basic", I managed to suppress the noise completely in Deponia and to tame it somewhat in Shaolin vs Wutang (the only other change I noticed here were slightly longer loading times, no slow down during fights). Guess I'll be using that trick next time a similar cases presents itself.

Last edited:
Solution