why core i7 990 has got high price?

thakaliboy

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Can anyone give a reasonable explanation for why the Core i7-990x is still so highly priced? Especially considering the 1366 chipset is dead and the latest gen. Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPUs could run circles around it. Not to mention running more efficiently and cooler too.

I'm still running a 1366 system and have always thought it would be awesome to upgrade to an out-of-date extreme CPU. So I periodically check prices and even today, they still go for like $5-600, used! Just curious if anyone else has any feedback on this. Thanks.

Solution

The i7-990X is the fastest CPU available for the LGA1366 socket which means a lot of folks like you want it. It was also a very expensive CPU when it came out and six-core Intel CPUs are still fairly...
+1 Intel never reduce prices on end of line products but if its used Intels price makes no difference. But there is minimal supply of them and likely minimal demand but as long as there is more demand than supply thats what people can sell them for.

The i7-990X is the fastest CPU available for the LGA1366 socket which means a lot of folks like you want it. It was also a very expensive CPU when it came out and six-core Intel CPUs are still fairly expensive. The least expensive ones even today are still around $400 and those are low-clocked, non-overclockable Xeon E5s.

What you could do is to look at a different six-core Westmere other than the i7-990X. You can easily overclock all Westmere chips (the last to be able to do so with locked multipliers!) The i7-970 goes for about $200 or so used, as do Xeon E5645s. Low-power six-core Xeons are a little less pricey (L5638, L5640) are about $150 but I have no clue how well they overclock. It could be very well or it could be mediocre. Those are all ways to get a six-core chip for less than the outlandish prices on the i7-990X.

Solution