Question Why did games companies shift to internet distribution so early?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Until a couple of years ago, I as a pc-gamer could walk into a store and buy a new game on DVD and install it on my machine. But all of this changed when these companies deciceded to sell games as downloadables online. However what these games failed to factor in, that many people (including myself) don't have fiber broadband. Meaning as games grew larger, then so did the time to download them as well. A game like the new Modern Warfare which is 160 GB take me almost two days to download on a 50/10 internet DSL connection. Am I the only who think the game companies should have continued sales of physical media much longer than they did?

I haven’t had a DVD/Blu-Ray drive in a desktop or laptop for many years. Cost I’d imagine also had a lot to do with, if you could get Modern Warefare on DVD Id expect it would have to come at a premium price to cover production and distribution. I also hated the amount of space the boxes took up.

The download time is frustrating, my connection is similar to yours so I see your point. For me though I’d rather wait a little and not have to store useless boxes creating waste.