Question why did I have to raise new ram voltage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
im wondering why I had to raise the voltage to 1.45v on my new ram, to get to the rated 3200mhz xmp speed. new ram is corsair vengeance pro rgb 32gb two 16gb modules. I think its Samsung b-die cause cpu-z said the ram man was Samsung did not say b-die. my system specs are asus prime csm b450m motherboard, ryzen 1700x overclocked to 3.8ghz, gtx 1070 video card. the ram I was using before was 16gb 2x8 of corsair dominator platinum 3200mhz overclocked to 3400mhz easily.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
It's quite normal for RAM voltages to be high like that if the BIOS has RAM overvoltage or RAM specific LLC (load line calibration) enabled. Check your BIOS if something like that is indeed enabled. If there isn't anything like that then it's possible your CPU overvoltage setting is synced with RAM overvoltage and thus raising/enabling CPU overvoltage enables it for RAM as well.

1.35v is as high as needed for almost all DDR4-3200, though it can go as high as 1.5v with Intel XMP 2.0. 1.25v or lower would be more ideal.

Trident-Z C14 is B-die. C15 can be either B-die or D-die, depending on the batch. C16 is D-die. There are also a few A-die floating around, but those are extremely rare.
I saw vddcr cpu load line calibration and vddcr soc load line calibration which were both set to auto in the bios, do you think raising the voltage to 1.5v is ok so I can possibly get higher than 3200mhz?

You don't want to raise the memory frequency (get the ram higher, aka, overclock the memory) past what the advertised profile specifications are, UNLESS you are willing to go through a significant amount of tweaking and testing. No joke, memory instability will corrupt your entire system including personal files that are accessed like movies, music, documents, game files, applications, in very short order if there is ANY instability and by that I don't mean crashes and blue screens, I mean micro errors that you may not even EVER see or know about but that will be happening all the time.

Besides which, there are very little gains to be had by overclocking memory. Not enough typically to even notice. I'd recommend setting the memory to as close to the profile specs as you can, or AT the profile specs if you can, and then call it good after running 4 passes of Memtest86 to ensure that the memory configuration actually IS stable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. 1.5v is the limit for DDR4, even 1.45 is pushing your luck. Ryzen shows diminishing returns after 3200MHz, so there's no real gains to be had there.

There's either something not right with the ram, or a setting in bios that's bumping the voltage up, but if that ram is as you say, and the model shows as 3200MHz, it also shouldn't be running on anything but xmp to start with. And stable. In the right slots. Push comes to shove, give gskill a call and ask them what to do.

Vddcr LLC is the standard LLC, the vddcr soc is the voltage the socket is supposed to get for the LLC to use. Auto is fine, that's cpu overclocking.

You may need to OC the cpu to get lower voltages on the ram at those speeds. 3.8GHz isn't an OC, that's standard turbo speeds, all you did was lock the cores to an all core turbo.