[SOLVED] Why did trimming PCB kill ram?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 18, 2019
I trimmed the edge of a stick DDR4 to resolve a clearance issue and the stick seems to be dead. The only thing on the edge was a single gold dot, I didn't think it was important but guess I was wrong. What is the gold dot and what does it do? See far left of image below.
BLS2K8G4D26BFSEK.jpg

Solution
No, I would not expect the designer to anticipate someone trimming the PCB, but seems that if they could make ram a little less wide that there might be a market for it. I am sure it is possible, but probably takes a little more thought on their part. The only low profile DDR4 that I have seen is ECC server memory and it is trimmed at that location as well as being very short.

He referred to the PSU as light, how does that speak to quality?

Yes, x264 encoding pushes your CPU to near 100% for extended periods of time and with a mild overclock it does generate a bit of heat. I don't really want to listen to fans running full speed for hours at a time so a custom water loop keeps it check pretty well even with 120mm fans set below...
Mar 18, 2019
There are several different thickness 240mm rads, most run @ 25-28mm which would probably clear that ram slot, but some are thicker and can run 30-34mm. Which can make a difference when you add 26mm for a fan.

My rad says it's 27mm, I wasn't interested in going smaller, nor was I interested in returning and waiting on a new one that probably cost more not to mention return fees.