Question Why do I get low GPU usage after windows update?

Aug 12, 2020
a lot of unusual stuff happened after I shut down and updated my windows yesterday and one of them is the fact that my gpu averages at around 45% when I play red dead redemption 2. Before the update it ran at normal 99%. No, I don't have cpu bottleneck. I have a gtx 1080 ti and my beast i7 9700k cpu that I put a lot of work in to get coped with the card amazingly till today. From what I have seen in task manager, it seems like there are 2 processes that take up to 30% gpu each: client server runtime process (I have 2 of these running and I dont't know why. 1 that uses the gpu and one that doesn't and both are located in system 32) and the other process is desktop window manager. I don't wanna touch them because both seem to be very important in windows. I worked really hard for that cpu upgrade only for stuff like this to stop happening. Please help me.

Specs:
GTX 1080 ti 11gb
16 GB ram
i7 9700k 3.6 ghz

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Also, Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall said drivers after manually downloading drivers from Nvidia. Install drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Aug 12, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on. Also, Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You can try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall said drivers after manually downloading drivers from Nvidia. Install drivers in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have upgraded to a gigabyte z390 gaming x motherboard for the new CPU to work. In additional to that I also got a new PSU, a Neo Eco gold zen 700 wats to get things tougher all around. I know it might not be the best PSU but it sure is better than the one I had before. For all of these components to work I also had to remove my previous 16 ddr3 ram and buy 16 ddr4 ram. I am 100% using the most recent windows version. After all, I updated it yesterday and my computer started running games like it's 10 years old since. Plus, I checked a couple of times and I seem to be up to date. I remember launching ghost recon wildlands after all of these upgrades and it was locked on 70 fps on ultra. I couldn't be any happier. I checked it once again today and it seems to be at 25-30 fps. I don't know what's going on here but it seems like the PC decided to act like it was never insanely upgraded like it did. Plus, the GPU temp is averaging at around 60c while I'm not even playing any games. I don't really know how to check the name of the version of bios that I'm currently using.