[SOLVED] why do i have a good pc yet i have really varying frame rates and games are not rendering properly. not getting nearly as much fps as i should be.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 26, 2020
games like cs sometimes get stuttering and also games with large open worlds such as rust and pubg/fortnite. i have really varying frames in fortnite and rust usually 80 but then when i get to a part of the map that gets more complicated and has a lot more different textures I get like 160 at least and this barely changes if I turn up grahics settings.. i dont think that its my gpu, mb a cpu problem but im not sure i have a near brand new gtx 1660ti oc xlerate, ryzen 5 1600x gigabyte b450 aurus elite. 16gb of ddr4 2400 and 3600mhz ram. one of them is a 8gb stick of hyperx rgb and the other is corsair vengance.

Solution
Your two DIMMs should be installed in THESE two slots, no exceptions, so long as you are running ANY modern dual channel, four DIMM slot consumer motherboard. If you are running a quad channel or HEDT (High end desktop) platform, then population rules will be different since there are going to be 8 DIMM slots.

UB6JJIp.png

As far as determining whether the memory configuration is stable or not, that, is for the most part, fairly uncomplicated.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86...

johnsoner13

Respectable
I am just going to get flamed all over the place here but I am a glutton for punishment. The games listed @ 1080 were CS (Userbench mark average FPS 156), Rust (61.4 FPS), PUBG (88.4 FPS), Fortnight (132 FPS). While these are average user benchmarks with limited sample and various CPUs I would say it is pretty indicative of what the card is going to do in real life. Anytime frame rate and refresh rate get out of sync you can expect screen tearing and/or lag. Screen tearing has been more emphasized when you are dealing with a super fast video card overproducing frames against a monitor refresh, but it happens both ways and is really why G-sync and Freesync technologies were developed. In a perfect world FPS and monitor refresh should be kept equal with no FPS variability. In the real world machine workloads vary and cause FPS to move around during gameplay. Getting out of sync and lag happens worse at certain points of FPS to refresh because of the fixed refresh nature of the monitor. Lets say that you have a 144hz monitor. Perfect would be a 144 FPS input that is rock stable. But lets say that you go down to exactly 72 FPS rock stable (1/2 Refresh). At this level the monitor will just refresh the input frame 2x and there isn't a tearing issue because they are in sync and the image is just doubled up. This may be perceived as lag however. On the other hand as we start to get away from the even multiplier what happens is that we start to have frames produced that are not in ratio with the refresh being rendered on the screen. So for example at 108 FPS on the example monitor for every monitor refresh we are making .75 images per refresh cycle. Trying to render the partial image causes an intermittent "tear" in the screen image. The same thing happens in reverse when we try to push too many frames into lower refresh monitors as they get out of sync. Faster refresh monitors cover the effect better because they are faster, but the effect happens both ways. Gysnc and Freesync tech work to keep the FPS and refresh either equal or out of the problem ratio areas. Lets talk about this particular issue at hand. The 1660 TI as per its "60" moniker is at the lower end of the Nvidia discrete graphics card lineup. The 1600 series on a whole was released concurrently with the 2000 series to cover entry level to low mid level consumers with the 2000 series covering mid upper and upper segments. As a value proposition it is a great card but it is still a value card. At 1080 it can play any of the games listed at the frame rates listed above, which are just fine and solid framerates on a normal 60 hz monitor. But a high refresh monitor even at lower res like 1080 will see some screen tearing and lag under normal circumstances on this card especially when turned to ultra mode in games. Just how much I cannot say, and I also cannot qualify how bad his issue is. This discussion was opened specifically trying to troubleshoot a stuttering issue in those games and the capable framerate to refresh rate mismatch would lead me to testing a lower refresh and framerate cap to see if it helps. In my opinion (besides possible RAM instability in this case) the issue here is mismatched hardware on a whole. A decent CPU coupled with middle run entry level GPU trying to push a really fast monitor that would have been better served by a higher 2000 series card and gsync. I know that there is a gross price difference between the two, but baring hardware problems I think that on some level here expectations need to be tempered a bit. You get what you pay for.
Im sure you made some good points in there somewhere, not gonna bother finding them though

Reactions: jasonf2