Question Why do I have black screen after installing new CPU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 28, 2019
I recently just upgraded my CPU from a R5 1600 to a R7 2700x and I've been experiencing mouse stutters and and then get a black screen right after. I also end up getting a Video_Scheduler_internal_error message. I don't think it could be a gpu related issue as I have all drivers up to date and I even attempted to reinstall the drivers. I also re-installed my R5 1600 to see if it could be my gpu (Gigabyte RX5700 XT) but everything worked fine. I was able to run Modern warfare on high settings and GTA V on high-ultra settings. I'm beginning to think that it could just be a defective R7 processor but I've heard that CPUs are the least likely of all components to be defective.

Motherboard: MSI B350 tomahawk

Gpu: Gigabyte RX5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

PSU: EVGA 650Watt

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Build version is fine.

Monitor cpu speed and temps with HWinfo64.

Not sure why Adrenaline is now giving you grief. Reading about bug fixes and existing bugs still being worked on is extensive. Have a look, might help give ideas what to look into.

Heard a beep from my speakers and then got the blue screen again with video_scheduler_internal_error

I was typing above when you said this. Well this is a pickle.

If everything works fine with your old cpu, and if new cpu isn't faulty, im wondering if this is a bios issue causing conflicts between new cpu ~ pcie express chipset ~ gpu.

Perhaps the latest bios might not be good. Have a look in the bios for pcie gen settings and force it to a different version if possible.

Dec 28, 2019
I read the entire forum that u posted and it makes sense to me. Unfortunately I think I'll just have to wait until they update the adrenaline drivers for my hardware and see if that fixes any problems I've been having.

Dec 28, 2019
They just released a new adrenalin driver today so I'll update that today and see if the results remain the same. Because I was looking more into it and it seems like lots of others have been having similar issues. But it's odd how it only happens when I have my new cpu installed.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
They just released a new adrenalin driver today so I'll update that today and see if the results remain the same. Because I was looking more into it and it seems like lots of others have been having similar issues. But it's odd how it only happens when I have my new cpu installed.

View: https://youtu.be/pboDbxogSw4

It is very strange that this issue only exists with your 2700x and not your previous CPU, but this may provide some insight as to what is going on

Dec 28, 2019
Well now I'm positive it's the drivers. I just updated to latest drivers and now my desktop crashes even with my old cpu installed. Disappointed that AMD team would let it get this bad

Dec 28, 2019
BIG UPDATE: So my friend ended up letting me borrow an old GPU that he had lying around (GTX 750 TI) and I downloaded the drivers after uninstalling the adrenalin drivers with DDU and everything worked smoothly. However I did realize that the card only worked on the second slot of my motherboard but I dont know if maybe that would have to do with compatibility reasons since the card doesn't have any pcie input for cable power.

Reactions: M3rKn
Dec 28, 2019
Okay so I figured it out. I had updated my bios but this time i updated to a beta bios version which allowed me to change the pcie. I switched it from auto to x8x8 and it seems to have solved my issue as of now. But does anyone happen to know as to why the drivers would affect the pcie??

Reactions: M3rKn

boju

Titan
Ambassador
5700 is a pcie 4 card. PCIe should be backwards compatible but even guys with x570 boards are finding themselves changing PCIe gen to 3 for these new Amd cards and other's changing link speed as you have done. Problem with the card's bios and how it's interacting?

Whatever it is, most likely be between, gpu, motherboard bios, gpu drivers or Windows.

Dec 28, 2019
Well whatever the case may be I hope some type of patch is released to fix these types of issues because it seems like plenty of others have been having these problems. And it seems like the problem has been solved since I loaded into a full game on modern warfare without any type of problem.