Why do I have Blue screen?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
BSOD encountered. What is the cause? How to solve the problem?

My screen has blue screen appeared, it hanged and restart.

I use bluescreenview to see the properties and it says Caused by Driver dxgkrnl.sys

Here are the screenshots
QFjMZMf.png

1hqzhRj.png

87iyp5N.png

Recently when I am surfing the net in browser, sometimes I see black cubes/rectangles appearing. I have updated the video card drivers but the cubes/rectangles still appears. Today is the first time I encountered blue screen. A few weeks ago my screen also hanged. Is my video card (AMD Radeon HD5770) going to spoil? Or is the blue screen caused by something else?

Thanks

That sounds like typical GPU failure (the squares and so on). It could be faulty cooling on the card. Take the side off the case and look at the fans to see if they are spinning. Also look in catalyst and check the temperatures of the GPU. If it's getting too hot you may need to either replace the fans or give the cooling assembly a good clean.

A HD5770 is a pretty old card now though, so it's possible the gpu is on the way out- it does happen eventually, especially if you've ever overclocked it or used it a lot of heavy gaming. I had an old Geforce card die a while back and odd colours and such were the first signs.

Hmm those temps look ok, In Catalyst you should be able to view temps under the 'Overdrive' section. It's worth double checking there to see they are same but chances are temps aren't the problem. I guess you could use overdrive to try and *reduce the memory clock* a bit to see if that helps?

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
uTfacI4.png

All are defaults. I am a noob.

"I guess you could use overdrive to try and *reduce the memory clock* a bit to see if that helps?"> If I do this (reduce memory clock), is there anything that are running slower or system will become slower?

Well it would slow down game performance, not much else, although looking at that the memory is already set to minimum allowed in Catalyst.

The only thing it looks like you can do from there is try boosting the fan speed- although the gpu temp isn't *that* high (actually I guess 50 degrees is quite high for idle but gpu's should be stable up to 80 ish degrees so it's not crazy).

smalltech

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
So I guess there is nothing that I should do since you said that 50 degrees is acceptable?

The conclusion is the blue screen is caused because the Graphics card is going to spoil and nothing can be done?

Unfortunately I think that is the case.

americanbrian

Distinguished
There are tools that can reduce the memory clock below what overdrive allows, also you can manually increase the fans to increase the passive cooling on the mem chips. A combination of both could allow you to run it stably until you can afford a replacement.