Why do I have to reset my wireless router every day?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenthar

Distinguished
This thread might differ from other in that I'm not looking to solve the problem (I pretty much gave-up :p), but being an inquisitive mind, I want to understand WHAT is actually happening to cause that issue. I noticed many people seems to experience this kind of problem and part of me want to know why this is happening.

First thing first, I have a D-Link WBR-2310 Revision A with the latest non-beta firmware (1.05 dated 2008-09-10) with WPA2 security enabled. What is happening is that every day I would have to reset my router (unplug and replug, easier than reaching for the reset button) or all my wireless devices (GF's laptop, Wii and PS3), wouldn't have wireless access. The part I find strange is that none of the devices seems to think they are disconnected, it's just that none of the devices can connect to the internet, DLNA server or any other device on my network.

I know a decent share about wired networking (would need refreshing, but still), but not as much as I would like with wireless. I know the innards of Ethernet, IP (TCP/UDP), DHCP and all sorts of technical crap so don't spare me on any details you might have, worst case scenario I will have to google it up and learn something ... :p

If you have any tests I could run to have a better idea of what is happening, it would also be great (ex: using wireshark).

Solution
I too have had problems with wireless routers failing prematurely. They DO seem to be junk! My symptoms have generally been radio-related. Disconnects from the Access Point.

But that being said, it sounds more like you folks who have to reset your routers every day might have a problem related to IP address distribution. These routers use DHCP to distribute IP addresses, but if you have some devices on your network (like printers) where you hard-assign an IP address, and then DHCP hands out the same address, you will find that you get all kinds of crazy things happen with those two devices not able to communicate. The router will also have its own IP address (often 192.168.1.1). If you hard-assign another device to that same address...

sally10

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Wallace,
I replaced my router with a new TP-Link unit and I haven't had any downtime in over 2 months now....... it's changed my life, sad but true!!!
I'm very disappointed with the manufacturers of the units I was using as they were well know brands and I would have hoped their technical backup would have resolved what I still believe as a WPA issue.
Good luck.

FoxyLady4569

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
Thank you for this post I was trying to find out why my DLink router was doing the same thing..seems like everyone on here who has the same router is having this problem...guess the solution is to buy a new one....

tbgincc

Reputable
Jan 1, 2015

I'd like to jump in here as I had also given up on this but stumbled on this thread...

Don't want to necessarily point the finger at D-Link but I've never had this issue with any of my other non-D-Link routers.
(I have the DIR-868L)

Same issue, devices would still have an IP addr assn'd and "looked" fine yet simply couldn't connect and only fix was to reboot the router!!
The only things I can add is that this was wireless only, no problem with hard-wired devices.
Also, no problem with wireless devices I assigned a STATIC IP to. (that was basically my "fix")
So something to do with wireless devices and DHCP but I couldn't figure it out and again my other routers did not have this problem.
(note I did not try the suggestion of using WEP vs WPA but I don't see that as a valid solution and my other routers worked fine with WPA)

Status
Not open for further replies.