Why do I need to cut power to my PC in order to start it whenever it is shut off?

Andre Gerard

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hey all, title pretty well says it all but I'll post specs and shtuff obviously:

CPU: FX-8350 w/ Hyper212x air cooler
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 3X GTX 980 4GB
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz (G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2 + Kingston Valueram 4GB)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula (non-Z)
Storage: 1TB WD 5400rpm drive + 320GB drive (forgot brand, don't think it's important really)
Power: Thermaltake Litepower 750w
Case: Some older Antec gaming case

Yeah nah titles pretty self explanatory I reckon, Everytime I shut my PC down normally, I have to pull the power and wait till it loses power itself (the motherboard button is unresponsive at that time as is the case buttons) then plug the power back in and it's fine after that. It's annoying because it either appears to be clearing the CMOS every time, resetting my CPU overclock and the time, but strangely not the date. I did already replace the battery with a CR2032 I found in my drawer I never used from way back. Could it simply be that the battery I chucked in is as dead from sitting for so long as the one that was in there? I bought the motherboard used a couple months ago and it's required this process to start since I bought the cooler to fit the CPU (about 3 weeks ago, it also caused the asmedia sata controller to report "can't find any device" upon every startup).

Also, one other issue I'm having is that games will randomly freeze and either unfreeze after a good long break or the PC will simply stay unresponsive. I started using shadowplay ignoring the problems everyone claimed it caused, and since a little while after using it in instant replay mode constantly this started. Any connection? I don't start recording now when I play games (Fortnite (Yeah I'm riding the bandwagon), Car Mechanic Sim 2018, Forza Horizon 3 (haven't noticed it in this game)), and it still occurs. Do I need to somehow actually deactivate it in GeForce experience?

Long post for two small issues I know, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Solution
on the asus mb it known for the efi bios to hang. the fix is clear the cmos with the power cable unplugged then use the usb flashback port and reflash the bios with the newest bios file. the frezzing issues can be vrm over heating or failing on your mb or unclean power. the power supply you have is not a good unit. look in the bios check the 3 power rails make sure there withing atx spec. use hardware info make sure there holding.
on the asus mb it known for the efi bios to hang. the fix is clear the cmos with the power cable unplugged then use the usb flashback port and reflash the bios with the newest bios file. the frezzing issues can be vrm over heating or failing on your mb or unclean power. the power supply you have is not a good unit. look in the bios check the 3 power rails make sure there withing atx spec. use hardware info make sure there holding.

Solution

R0GG

Distinguished
I have the same motherboard and CPU setup for years, same issue sometimes shutting down takes forever , some other times it starts then it shuts down immediately and would not boot correctly until disconnected completely from the wall outlet for few seconds until all the mobo lights turn off, and when it starts bios says core overclock not successful or cores not activated > I hit alt+Ctrl+del quickly reboots it and everything is good again all cores working.
I got used to it especially that it happens once in awhile as I don't turn off my pc completely as I use hybrid sleep most of the times (run computer for days without a regular shutdown) which I am suspecting might be the source of the issue and the board after waking up from it at times have some USB 3 ports not working correctly etc.