Why do mobile companies charge so much for inbuilt storage?

ifIwasarichman

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Can anyone explain why there is so much difference in price between the different storage sizes when high end m.2 modules go for so much less. When looking at price per GB - for example apples 64GB to 128GB is $150 for a increase of only 64GB which is well over $2 per GB, yet Samsung's top performing consumer product, the 950 Pro, is less than $1 per GB (even the 512GB is less than $500 at my local shops). And there are a huge amount of cheaper storage options available when looking at the various other SSD's available on the market.

From what I have read, the storage used in mobiles does not come close to the performance of the 950 Pro.
And I was not picking on apples, as all the mobile phone companies do the same thing, it was just the last search result (Apple's webshop) I had open. :)
The prices quoted are in Australian dollars, but I am sure that the same relative difference occurs in other currencies.

All I see is a grossly unfair profiteering method being colluded between all the phone companies, and we are the poor suckers getting ripped off.

The price does not seem to matter if they have a micro SD slot for extra storage or not. Samsung even recognised the backlash (particularly all the negative comments on their own, recently closed, Samsung community forum site) when they decided to drop this function in the S6 models, so they reintroduced it into the S7 models.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Solution
they charge it because they can. it is a HUGE chunk of profit to sell what costs them a few bucks for $100 plus and then some. with apple there is no option of an sd card so they got you buy the short and curlies if you need the extra space.

the others just follow suit cause they can. notice that lower end models do not have a lot of built in memory but do have sd cards. price can be low since it has only a little bit of cheap memory so they pass the savings on.

it really is just that simple, they charge it because they can and we pay it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they charge it because they can. it is a HUGE chunk of profit to sell what costs them a few bucks for $100 plus and then some. with apple there is no option of an sd card so they got you buy the short and curlies if you need the extra space.

the others just follow suit cause they can. notice that lower end models do not have a lot of built in memory but do have sd cards. price can be low since it has only a little bit of cheap memory so they pass the savings on.

it really is just that simple, they charge it because they can and we pay it.

Solution