[SOLVED] Why do my CPU always run at full clock speed?

Jojjewadenius

Prominent
May 10, 2019
I have a intel core i5 8600K. It is always running at about 4000 MHz even if my load is low. Should it do that or is it normal? If it shouldn't do that, do you know how to fix it?

Solution
Run CPU-Z and you can monitor it easier.
It would only run that speed if it was locked in the BIOS to run at that speed, it should speed up and slow down.
With CPU-Z you can see if the multiplier is locked or not.

hpea2014

Reputable
Apr 28, 2019
In your bios there should be a setting called EIST it might be switched off, also you might want to check if all your C states are enabled but truthfully this wont damage ur computer as long as temps. and voltages are under control

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
good program to see temp of your cpu is coretemp as long as cpu not going above 80 c its perfectly ok mine on load goes to about 60 c and on idle not doing nothing goes to about 35 c

the 8600k is a unlocked cpu thats what the K stands for you can basically make it run faster than its stock speeds etc

Windows power settings should let you set max cpu% which should be 100%
It should also let you set minimum cpu$%which should be perhaps 20%

There will be an option in the bios for speedstep(called by various names such as cie)
That will allow the cpu to lower the multiplier when not much is going on.
CPU-Z will then show a fluctuation in multiplier.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
Hey for any user thats using a laptop you just click on the battery at the taskbar if its running at full speed then its likey on preformance mode wich quite significantly increases your clock speed, putting it to balanced will lower it and setting it to best battery life will lower it as well