Why do USB devices seem to stop computer sleeping properly.

Computing_Now

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Why do a lot of usb devices seem to prevent the computer from going into sleep mode.

For example, I have to unplug the mouse to get the computer to reliably go into sleep mode.

Also I bought a usb 3.0 hub and that prevents the computer from going into sleep mode.

Is there a way to stop certain devices from keeping the computer awake (using ubuntu)?

I don't think it's waking issues the devices are preventing sleep mode from starting.

Solution
Hmm using tvheadend would cause a problem, i was not aware you was using that. tlp the reduces the power usage when on the battery. I tend to check the settings on the configuration. There are settings that may help the USB issue. Here is the link to tlp manual below. I would read the USB part you may be able to black list what you need running full power. Might be able to black lidt the tvheadend to not be suspended, backup the configuration files before you edit.

If you try this disable it than edit the restart it. Only change one or two settings at a time or you can corrupt the configuration file. I did that once. I had to reinstall the software oops.

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-configuration.html#general

Dave8671

Distinguished
I would try TLP in the package manager. I do not know if you have a desktop computer or a laptop. If you have desktop skip it though. I use it for my battery saving on my Ibm T500 it has settings that may help. But try it as is once installed. to check if it is active type. Note this program is only command-line based.

Another option is maybe using powered USB hub. Why, you ask a powered Hub has is own power and will not draw from the USB port to power devices. Suspend to ram is not all that evolved in Linux it is a tool that needs more development TLp is a step in that direction. Not that it does not work on some laptops though not on my t500. The screen will not power back on so I do not use it.

sudo tlp stat <--(which means status) look at the top for active. if you decide to try tlp and it states enactive

sudo tlp start

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hmm using tvheadend would cause a problem, i was not aware you was using that. tlp the reduces the power usage when on the battery. I tend to check the settings on the configuration. There are settings that may help the USB issue. Here is the link to tlp manual below. I would read the USB part you may be able to black list what you need running full power. Might be able to black lidt the tvheadend to not be suspended, backup the configuration files before you edit.

If you try this disable it than edit the restart it. Only change one or two settings at a time or you can corrupt the configuration file. I did that once. I had to reinstall the software oops.

http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-configuration.html#general

Solution

TRENDING THREADS