Why does a cloning fail if the master drive isn't the exact saem make/model # as

Amnvrancken

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I'm trying to clone hard drives using an ISC Image MAsster 4008i cloner. If the master drive and the target drive are not the exact same make and model number, it fails every time. For instance, if I try to clone a Western Digital WD2500AVJS from a Western Digital WD2500AAJS it says it failed and the hard drive won't boot up completely. My company is starting to update it's hardware but it's no fun installing windows 7 and other software 5 days a week when they could be cloned in a fraction of the time. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
You can clone, but you need to re-activate windows and Use a Win7 CD to run a Startup repair to change all the HArdware ID's of the new Boot drive

But as a business you should be using a Base system image created with Sysprep with the appropiate licenses

WinOutreach4

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
The Microsoft recommended method to image new computers is to use file-based imaging, which avoids the problems you are having with sector-based imaging. There is a 3 part blog post that will help you understand the differences:

Improving your image: Sector-based, File-based, and Sysprep – What Makes the Most Sense? Part 1
Improving Your Image: Sector-Based, File-Based, and Sysprep - What Makes the Most Sense? Part 2
Improving Your Image: Sector-Based, File-Based, and Sysprep - What Makes the Most Sense? Part 3

In addition to using Sysprep as kitsunestarwind and unksol mentioned, you may want to look into using MDT for your deployment needs. MDT has many great features, such as managing device drivers and deploying software to the fresh install of Windows. The ability to install software as a Post Installation Task allows you to have an image with minimally installed software (just the things everyone needs) and install other software as needed.

There is a great introductory video series for using MDT available from the Springboard Series on TechNet. The first video is Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012 and the other five are listed on the right hand side of that page.

Finally, there are several other articles and videos to help IT Professionals with their deployment needs on the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 and the Deliver and Deploy Windows 8 pages of the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your imaging process,

David
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

TRENDING THREADS