Why does Battlefield 1 run poorly on my system?

don8 pl0x

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Looking at the recommended specs, all except for the ram meet the requirement. For recommended, it says 16 gb of ram, not specifying ddr3, ddr4 etc. I have 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, and I am wondering if that is the issue? My friend could run BF1 at 144 fps with my same graphics card and a much better processor than mine (maybe also a factor?), and on low settings I can barely hit 60 fps during firefights. Any tips? My specs are listed below:

AMD FX-8350
MSI GTX 970 4gb OC
8gb ddr3 unspecified ram (don't know what company)

I have room for upgrades too, I just want to know if I should get an extra 8 gigs of ddr3 ram or scrap the mobo entirely and just get a newer intel cpu and 16 gigs ddr4 ram? Thanks!

Solution
Newer battlefield games are extremely hard on the CPU, so that is going to be the biggest factor here. The 8GB of RAM isnt doing you any favors, but its not as important.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
BF1 is fairly CPU intensive and, rocking an FX chip that's aged poorly isn't helping the cause.

BUT, monitor your resources. How do CPU/RAM/GPU resources look in game?
If your memory is capping out at 100%, then it's absolutely what's holding you back...... but I'd be more inclined to suspect the CPU before 8GB of RAM in this instance, unfortunately.

Phazoner

Distinguished
144FPS with a 970? I can get around 100FPS with a 1070 (at max settings ofc). The FX-8350 can defend itself in games like this where all its cores are used. According to this website it should deliver an average of 78FPS. If they did the test in the campaign, the 64 players conquest mode is harder on the CPU so it should be sensitively lower but the performance should be still good enough:

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-1-vo-imya-tsarya-test-gpu-cpu

This tests are with the max settings so low settings should help both CPU and GPU to deliver more FPS. Check if your components are overheating showing this info on display with MSI Afterburner, it sounds like there's a problem there and its solution is easy and cheap.