Why does Geforce experience optimize Fallout 4 to have medium-low settings when I have a GTX 1080 TI FTW3?

shen.matt92

Commendable
Aug 4, 2018
I have the highest clocked edition of the GTX 1080 TI which is still now retailing at $850 on Amazon, The FTW3 iCX. Its OC using precision EVGA to 1900MHz. Ive an 8700K with an OC to 4.7GHz using EZ OC in my BIOS. 16GB RAM at auto frequency. ASRock Z370 PRO 4 MB. And a 500GB NVMe from Samsung, the 970 EVO.

So, these are top notch parts here, best CPU, best GPU available right now, more than enough memory and an NVMe running at X4.

So how come when I optimize the game in Geforce experience it sets Fallout 4 to low shaders and medium everything else? I think only one or two things are on high but nearly nothing is ultra and even Anisotropic filtering is OFF.

It does set the resolution to 3840 but even when I turn down the res to 1080 I still get 50 frames sometimes with the same settings.

Is this normal? This is supposed to be a high end computer cost me $2500 and the only way to get 60+ fps is playing on low...

I built the PC myself, is it possible there are settings in the bios I haven't adjusted that would affect this?

It cant be bad drivers Ive reinstalled drivers and windows dozens of times and even changed motherboards twice...

Solution
Apples and oranges. With a 4k resolution, even a 1080ti can struggle to maintain the magic number of 60fps as minimum frames. So to get smooth game play, some settings will be dropped. This in accordance to someone else's opinion as to what's good, not yours.

Changing that to 1080p only changes the resolution, it doesn't affect the other settings unless you optimize for 1080p, basically its still optimized for seemless game play at 4k,but with a 1080p resolution.

Part of the reason many don't like GeForce Experience, it's not adaptable to you as much as it's optimized for the game according to others.

Not much different than OC, it's best done by you adjusting what's needed for you, not relying on software to do it for you.

I'd...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Apples and oranges. With a 4k resolution, even a 1080ti can struggle to maintain the magic number of 60fps as minimum frames. So to get smooth game play, some settings will be dropped. This in accordance to someone else's opinion as to what's good, not yours.

Changing that to 1080p only changes the resolution, it doesn't affect the other settings unless you optimize for 1080p, basically its still optimized for seemless game play at 4k,but with a 1080p resolution.

Part of the reason many don't like GeForce Experience, it's not adaptable to you as much as it's optimized for the game according to others.

Not much different than OC, it's best done by you adjusting what's needed for you, not relying on software to do it for you.

I'd just use in-game settings, remove GeForce Experience totally, it not necessary or needed and stands alone, it's not part of the nvidia drivers.

Solution