[SOLVED] Why does it say that it's thermally throttling?

Apr 12, 2021
When I am playing a game or mining, it says that the gpu is thermally throttling. My memory temps and die temperature are around 70c. I tried repasting the thermal paste on the gpu but it did not help. I had recently put new thermal pads and it helped the memory temperature a lot but could that be the reason causing this? My gpu is a 3080 vision. I used many different monitors and they all say that there is no power limit. And when I run a game, the fans go to 100 percent.

Solution
When I am playing a game or mining, it says that the gpu is thermally throttling. I used many different monitors and they all say that there is no power limit.
Thermally throttling = something is getting too hot and is prompting the GPU to throttle back to keep temperature in check.
Power limit = maximum power that can be used when nothing else is preventing the GPU from drawing more power.

Since thermal throttling reduces power to keep temperatures in check, it is antithetical to reaching the power limit. The power limit is only reachable when cooling for all monitored components exceeds requirements.
Apr 12, 2021
I used thermal grizzly and I used the spatula that they include to paste it. I’m afraid that it’s the new thermal pads that are causing the problems and not the thermal paste.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With gpus, they are open die, don't have an IHS, so it's very important to get Full coverage, no missing corners whatsoever, you can even go a little heavy on the paste and not hurt anything.

Pads are touchy. They come in various thickness, even 0.5mm, 1mm, 1.5mm etc and it's important to get the right thickness for the application because there's only so much squish to the pad if it's too thick, and warps the board or pushes another section free from the heatsink that can overheat. Too thin and it doesn't make adequate contact and overheats.

I detest changing pads, honestly, it's a pain, and getting the correct thickness isn't always easy.

InvalidError

Titan
When I am playing a game or mining, it says that the gpu is thermally throttling. I used many different monitors and they all say that there is no power limit.
Thermally throttling = something is getting too hot and is prompting the GPU to throttle back to keep temperature in check.
Power limit = maximum power that can be used when nothing else is preventing the GPU from drawing more power.

Since thermal throttling reduces power to keep temperatures in check, it is antithetical to reaching the power limit. The power limit is only reachable when cooling for all monitored components exceeds requirements.

Solution