Question Why does it sound like all the AM5 x670 motherboards are crap? I'm trying to buy one...

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Everywhere I go to read user reviews, it's just people complaining. Crappy BIOS, RAM doesn't work, won't boot, RGB doesn't work, LAN disconnects, Ports don't work....etc. And this is from every single brand.

I am about to build a 7800x3d system, so ASUS is out of my sights, possibly forever (not sure I can trust them again).

Traditionally I have bought Intel Gigabyte boards (3 builds/generations in a row) and never had a single problem. Always scored high 3dmark scores, high FPS in gaming, stability, and had super cool running PCs.

So now, there is basically these three: MSI, Gigabyte, and ASRock. And I see non-stop issues with all of them. It feels impossible now to give any of them my money cause I keep seeing all the bad reviews and issues.

I was gonna go with my gut and get a Gigabyte (since I always have), but now I have no confidence in any of them.

How do you just pull the trigger on any of these while reading the forums and reviews?

mrjenkins44

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
I'd wait it out if it's at all possible. People with an ASRock board are actually rejoicing at Asus's intention to sink it's won ship.

When will you be building your rig?
In two to three weeks.

It looks like Newegg has an insane deal on the X670 AORUS ELITE AX AM5.
280 + 20% means the motherboard will be 224 + free shipping. It's kinda hard to pass that up, but some people will swear by Asrock or MSI (and so on).

Last edited:

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
The only brand you should avoid right now is Asus, a quick search on the internet will tell you everything you need to know about that fiasco.
My MSI board is running beautifully with my 7800x3d.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AM5 is a new platform, always some issues at first. This time it was a little more drastic than usual.

Gigabyte hasn't let me down yet. But then my older ASUS boards are still running as well, but they lost me a long time ago due to general high pricing while performing worse.

ASRock has also shown up in my household in the form of a Mini-ITX Z690, but it was cheap, and pairs nicely with the A380 from ASRock.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you're main issue is that you are reading "customer reviews"

99% of what you are seeing is user error. they don't research what works and does not work, they don't read manuals or many times even know what they are doing. but they sure know how to go online and complain about their problems.

i've personally built about 20 AM5 systems and not had an issue with any of them. but then i do my homework and know what i am doing :)

the current issues with the chips melting down are not really a common problem. if you don't set it to run at full afterburner 100% of the time there really is not an issue. set it to the basic PBO profile, or leave it at stock and it's good to go. set it to "run at absolute max at all times at 100+ degrees 24/7" and for some unknown and completely unexplainable reason they don't like it?? go figure......

Asus, well, Asus is just following along the path they have been on for a while now. no idea what changed but they are pretty much junk status in my book at this point. i personally avoid them and will suggest others do as well until i see a reason to believe otherwise. so yah, like others have said, i'd stay away from Asus for the foreseeable future.