[SOLVED] Why does Keyboard and mouse stop working shortly after loading windows

May 6, 2020
So I just rebuilt my pc recently and now I’m having a problem with my Keyboard and mouse like i have to turn off my pc through the case power button and I just have to hope I get my Keyboard and mouse to work and when it does after I sign into my desktop shortly after my keyboard rgb turns off and my mouse stays on but they are both unresponsive

Solution
As said, this is a driver issue. The bios has a built in one but it deactivates when it passes control over to the OS.

Plug them into the top-most usb ports on the back of your tower.
If it still doesn't work, try enabling USB legacy support in your bios, sometimes listed as usb 2, usb1.1, and/or usb1

Otherwise you may need to get a hold of a basic ,plain jane, keyboard & mouse to get into windows and load your motherboards Chipset (first), GPU (2nd), USB (3rd), LAN (4th), and Audio (5th) drivers and then follow it up with the rest of your needed drivers (keyboard and mouse maybe?)

You get most your drivers from your motherboards website in the Support section. the GPU drivers you get from AMD or Nvidia's site.
If you tell us...

4745454b

Titan
If you can't tell what usb ports your stuff is plugged into, I'm honestly not sure i can help you. The easiest thing to do is to take it to a shop and have them fix it. I'm not trying to be rude but it's fairly simple to follow the cords and see where they go. Back of the case? Front of the case? Do they go into blue or black ports? Does changing the port help?

If it works in the bios but not windows then it's a driver issue. Probably a usb driver.

May 6, 2020
If you can't tell what usb ports your stuff is plugged into, I'm honestly not sure i can help you. The easiest thing to do is to take it to a shop and have them fix it. I'm not trying to be rude but it's fairly simple to follow the cords and see where they go. Back of the case? Front of the case? Do they go into blue or black ports? Does changing the port help?

If it works in the bios but not windows then it's a driver issue. Probably a usb driver.
So do I update my bios or ?and it’s fine I understand it might be frustrating when dealing with people who aren’t that bright but I’m trying the best I can I didn’t mean to upset you

May 6, 2020
Moderators are made of sterner stuff.

You've had the best advice to get around your problem.

Have you changed the keyboard and mouse into a different USB port? in your rebuild, did you connect all the cables in the box to the right places?
Yeah I’ve tried connecting it to the top of my case as well and still nothing , but if I didn’t connect everything my pc wouldn’t work at all?

Yeah I’ve tried connecting it to the top of my case as well and still nothing , but if I didn’t connect everything my pc wouldn’t work at all?

I'm sorry to say it doesn't work like that.

The USB connections to the motherboard are difficult because they can be very tiny. You won't have been the only person; I've built hundreds of PCs and I've gone wrong at that stage occasionally.

Take another look at the board and the paperwork that came with it.

So I just rebuilt my pc recently and now I’m having a problem with my Keyboard and mouse like i have to turn off my pc through the case power button and I just have to hope I get my Keyboard and mouse to work and when it does after I sign into my desktop shortly after my keyboard rgb turns off and my mouse stays on but they are both unresponsive
What windows version? Is it windows 7 ?

You rebuilt your pc. Did you change motherboard? Did you reinstall windows?
Generally windows reinstall is recommended after motherboard change.

In your case, you probably need to install USB drivers. Install chipset drivers first.
You'll need PS/2 keyboard and mouse until USB drivers are installed.

popatim

Titan
As said, this is a driver issue. The bios has a built in one but it deactivates when it passes control over to the OS.

If it still doesn't work, try enabling USB legacy support in your bios, sometimes listed as usb 2, usb1.1, and/or usb1

Otherwise you may need to get a hold of a basic ,plain jane, keyboard & mouse to get into windows and load your motherboards Chipset (first), GPU (2nd), USB (3rd), LAN (4th), and Audio (5th) drivers and then follow it up with the rest of your needed drivers (keyboard and mouse maybe?)

You get most your drivers from your motherboards website in the Support section. the GPU drivers you get from AMD or Nvidia's site.
If you tell us exactly which motherboard you have we can link you to the drivers page if you have problems finding it.

Solution
May 6, 2020
You plugged them into the GPU? Are you trolling us? I'm not there to physically see for myself, so I need to rely on you to tell me whats going on. I find it super hard to believe you plugged your keyboard/mouse into your video card.
I mean my motherboard 😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️

May 6, 2020

If you tell us exactly which motherboard you have we can link you to the drivers page if you have problems finding it.
Ahh okay I’ll see if that works