Question Why does my 144hz monitor looks blurry when objects in motion on contrasting background?

Oct 29, 2019
Acer XFA240 is the Display Model in question. I am running windows 10 with a DP cable hooked right in to my Nvidia RTX 2070 Super. The DP cable is rated for 144hz at 1080p.
Everything is set to 144hz. The OSD, windows settings, Nvidia Control Panel and bench marking software all agree that I am running 144hz.

The Problem is that when my white mouse cursor moves across my black desktop background it looks like I have mouse trails turned on in windows mouse/cursor settings even though I certainly do not. When I click and drag a window across the screen all the text looks blurry. Trying to watch video on this display is actually painful because of the way panning shots look when there is a light colored background. Everything that moves across said background appears to have multiple instances of its self echoing behind in a very short trail, similar to the way the mouse cursor looks on the desktop, but with a much shorter trail so that it created a sort of distorted stuttering. I can not be sure, but I think this is called "shadowing". It is worth mentioning at in games it looks a lot better. There is almost no blur but its there and it should't be! I have been using this display like this for almost a year now. I always thought it was my old computer which was the problem, but now the display is exactly the same on my new one that I just built. I can't let this stand. I need my $1700 to yield better results...

I have changed cables, tried the display with another computer and messed around with custom resolutions and tried turning on and off G-Sync. All efforts yielded nothing positive. My next step, if nobody here can help me, is to buy another monitor and see if that one looks any better. I would rather not do that. I paid over $200 for this one. I feel like it should do the trick.

I have been doing research for 2 weeks and can not find any explanation. The monitor has a 1ms pixel response time and I am running it at its native 1080 x 1920 144hz resolution. The PC is an absolute beast, so it should have no problem pushing 1080 at 144hz and I really can't understand why the display looks so terrible.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It's typically called ghosting. Have you turned on overdrive in the monitors menu? It's certainly not going to give you a 1ms response time without overdrive. Medium or normal is usually the best all around overdrive setting on most monitors.
kar4yx0bvj401.jpg

Reactions: Gimlett
Oct 29, 2019
It's typically called ghosting. Have you turned on overdrive in the monitors menu? It's certainly not going to give you a 1ms response time without overdrive. Medium or normal is usually the best all around overdrive setting on most monitors.
kar4yx0bvj401.jpg
Over Drive is automatically enabled to normal mode when connected to DP and cannot be changed by the user via the OSD EDIT: I have found that I can change the OD setting if I disable G-sync but it makes no difference how I have that set. Nothing changes.

Last edited: