why does my 1700+ require underclock?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I didnt rma the bords, I returned one to frys, for a replacement, I told the frys people I would NOT leave till I had the system working(brought it with me) they gave me some tools and a monitor and let me do my thing, so I swapped 4 boards, and all of them were doa......I told them screw this board, and bought a kg7 raid. Then they put the dead boards back on the shelves...::sighs::. Frys sucks.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Almost every 3rd post here is someone having trouble with an amd board,

And the other two are from me :)

Frys sucks.

Went there last night, they were selling a Visiontek MX200 for $80!! I didn't stay long.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

"My ram is running at 133 and the system is stable. The cpu freq is what makes the system unstable @133. You can run the memory at 133 without the FSB being 133 correct?"

Not necessarily true. I had a board do exactly the same thing, I was trying to run my 900MHz (9*100) AMD at 933 (7*133). It worked for a few minutes and then it would lock. I downclocked it back to 900 but used a memory divider to run my ram at 133MHz. While using a FSB of 133 my system was not stable, but using the memory divider with a 100MHz FSB the computer was rock solid. This was all done on PC100 RAM. I replaced the RAM with CAS2 133 From Crucial and everything was fine. The memory divider does not take full advantage of the ram and doesn’t push it as hard. When you say you have the chip clocked at 1.1 GHz, you aren’t running at 133 FSB, thus not pushing the ram to it’s fullest, which gives you stability. If you think it is the chip, try clocking it to 1GHz (7*133) and see if it’s stable. I’d bet money it won’t be.

G

The problem definitely isn't your CPU. I would bet the motherboard is the problem. Stay away from ECS and other cheap boards. You're better off spending a little more money on a ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte board for the stability and quality components.

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
If you lower fsb from 133 to 100, can you still clock ram at 133?
I'm not quite shure,but I think that if you lower fsb the rest of the system follows(including ram,whatever the bios setting for the ram is).

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yes you can, many motherboards had host+pci clk for ram, which took the fsb and added 33mhz to it, to make full use of the pc133 ram, with newer mobos however, the fsb and ram run in sync and this feature is not needed.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

Did you read my posting above ? Go here:
<A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=003792" target="_new">http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=003792</A>

You are not alone, so much is clear. Here is a quote:
Problem:

Some K7S5A (and M830) motherboards suffer from what appears to be a data corruption problem when used with certain CPU’s. <snip> The problem appears to be limited to motherboards with the number 4 or higher on a small sticker by the PCI slots.

Symptoms:
Memtest86 Errors, 133/133 failures and problems, Crashes, Blue Screens, Windows Protection Errors, OS installation failures, corrupted CD burns, Windows Registry corruption, general data corruption, etc.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =