Question Why does my CMOS battery repeatedly die after 1 month?

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Alternatively they might simply be "rubbish" batteries or well past their "best before" date.

Did you buy a strip of 20 CR2032 cells for $2?

I avoid extortionately priced bubble packs containing a single battery, as sold at supermarket checkouts.

Instead I buy well known quality brands in bulk from reputable component suppliers. The shelf life is usually at least 5 years and I expect to get a minimum of 2 to 3 years use out of them once they're installed in a mobo.

Reactions: amcantech

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If I left all my computers in standby mode, I'd probably waste over 100W of vampire power. Then there's the 20 to 30W drawn by the 1500VA APC UPS when idle. Add to that the broadband fibre modem, a pfSense firewall, a Netgear firewall, 8-port Gigabit switch, 8-port 10GbE switch, WiFi AP, audio DAC, etc.

With power costing roughly $0.60 per kWHr, I normally switch off my computers at the wall when not in use. I also kill most of the network at night if I'm not downloading anything.

I've got enough freezers, central heating system, cooker, microwave, dish washer, washing machine, lights, hifi, TVs, to use thousands of dollars worth of power, now that prices have rocketed due to the invasion of Ukraine.

I've switched off some computers hundreds, possibly thousands of times during their life. So far very few PSUs have given up the ghost.

Reactions: amcantech
Aug 22, 2023
If I left all my computers in standby mode, I'd probably waste over 100W of vampire power. Then there's the 20 to 30W drawn by the 1500VA APC UPS when idle. Add to that the broadband fibre modem, a pfSense firewall, a Netgear firewall, 8-port Gigabit switch, 8-port 10GbE switch, WiFi AP, audio DAC, etc.

With power costing roughly $0.60 per kWHr, I normally switch off my computers at the wall when not in use. I also kill most of the network at night if I'm not downloading anything.

I've got enough freezers, central heating system, cooker, microwave, dish washer, washing machine, lights, hifi, TVs, to use thousands of dollars worth of power, now that prices have rocketed due to the invasion of Ukraine.

I've switched off some computers hundreds, possibly thousands of times during their life. So far very few PSUs have given up the ghost.
No problem, just wanted to try to diagnose the problem... the CMOS battery mainly comes into play when the computer is not connected to power which provides auxiliary power to store the current time and BIOS settings... if its off more than on, i'd imagine that it utilizes the CMOS battery more than if a computer that was plugged in all the time... but it seems to me like there is a short or some faulty components... maybe some device that is plugged in and pulls power even when the computer is off?