Question Why does my computer crash when I play games? Please help.

Mar 17, 2019
Hi, when I am playing a video game my game will freeze and then have these small square all over the screen and then my whole computer crashes. I am not sure what the problem is, I have a fairly good computer. I have an i7 6700k CPU and then a 1080ti neither are overclocked. I think the problem has to do something with the graphics card but I am not sure. I have a picture of what happens when it crashes, but I can't play any game without it crashing. Well, when it crashes it does two things I have pictures of both. Can someone please help me because this has been happening for a little bit over a week now and I have tried going back to the Nvidia Driver 419.17 instead of the newest 419.35 and still didn't work and even tried reinstalling 419.35 and nothing. Please help me. Thanks. Also, I am new this forums thing.

Picture 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/txuRgGmAAtv2ejNH8
Picture 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PEWnjVvC5hDYhdR2A

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019
CPU - i7 6700k
GPU - EVGA 1080ti
PSU - Corsiar Rm850x
Mobo - Asus z270-A
RAM - Corsair 16gb
CPU cooler - Corsiar Water cooler V2

GPU Temp(While playing) - 65-80 C
CPU Temp(While playing -40-70 C

I am also adding photos of what it does when it crashes. I have also noticed that when I play games it uses 99% of my GPU and not sure if that is a problem or not, but lowering the graphics settings do not help.

Last edited:
What has changed since all was well a week ago??

A failure after a while is usually indicative of a heat problem.
If you take the case covers off does that change anything?

When gaming, the graphics card will draw more power.
But, your rm850 psu is excellent quality and much more wattage than you should need.

Does this happen on just one game?
If so, look to a game patch.

Of course, anything can fail.
Perhaps your GTX1080ti is at fault.
Can you borrow a similar card to test with?

Mar 17, 2019
So nothing has changed except the NVIDIA driver update 419.35 but I went to the driver before that and still happened now I am at 419.17. Yesterday I figured it was a heat problem so I cleaned out my computer and get all the dust out and put two fans on the front and make airflow more efficient however this did not help. I would test another card but I don’t have one.

Mar 17, 2019
EVGA has a very good support and warranty program.
I hope you registered the card when you bought it.
I would open a incident with their graphics support team.
Possibly, there is a firmware update that could address your issue.
I have sent them an email, just waiting on a response.