Why does my computer freeze for few seconds sometimes?

leppanen

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I just build my new pc and after 2 weeks it started to freeze for 8-10 seconds at a time. Sometimes after a freeze my mouse cursor to something that looks like a 16-bit colors.
What could be causing this trouble? I am using Win7 professional 64-bit

my hardware:

MB: MSI Z87-G41 PC-mate(MS-7850)
CPU: Intel i5-4670K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 OC
RAM: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz
PSU: 650W
SSD: Kingston 120gb
HDD: 1TB

I have already re-installed windows and tried to change my memory frequenze and i have installed all the latest drivers.

leppanen

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I haven't OCed the GPU so that isn't the problem. I have installed all the drivers for everything. I got the GPU from my friend and it's few years old, so I think also that GPU would be the problem but i want other opinions before i buy a new one. how could i tell the temperature of my GPU?

^ As above.

Do the i5 k series have integrated GPUs? Maybe not. I was going to suggest running off that and seeing if you still get the issues, hmm.

But yeah, get something like HWMonitor to measure all of your temperatures/voltages, and send a screenshot here if you can.

leppanen

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
it did freeze last time i played, but now that i installed GPU drivers again it stopped freezing. First time i played with this computer, my FPS was 200 but now it's barely 80

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador

Do you have vsync enabled? it usually keeps the FPS somewhere near your monitor's refresh rate. I can uncap mine playing lol and get 250+ but it runs at 75 b/c I have vsync on.