Why does my computer smell like burning plastic while playing a graphicly powerf

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

The guy who over reacted to me telling the OP what I would do. His name is OhioU grad.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished

I probably should not have overreacted, but basically, point was you should not open PSU's or CRT's, at least not without training. Maybe I'm old school also. My first computer was a commodore 64 when I was 5, which has been a while. I'm 31 now, been working with PC's doing general use, upgrades, builds, and later tech work since 17 or 18, and that was something you never did. I've worked on Servers, laptops, desktops, etc, went to school for 4 years for IT, and I personally would not feel 100% comfortable opening a PSU, so I can't recommend novice users doing that. I used to have to work on eMacs and we'd have to discharge CRT's, not my favorite thing, but it was part of my job. But suggesting a possibly novice user to dissamble a PSU just seems unwise in my opinion. Personally, I would just replace the power supply if needed, even on my own system, if the op feels comfortable, that's his/her business, but I wouldn't, and can't suggest the op to either. I apologize for overreacting.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Oh Em Gee. Its a visual inspection, anyone can open a PSU for a VISUAL INSPECTION, as that only requires removing 4 screws(generally) and then LOOKING.

TL;DR, Inspect the inside of your computer until you find something melted. Then fix it, or get a new one, or re-route it or w/e. Pics will help us help you, when you find it.

/holding pattern for OP response.

N0BOX

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I upgraded my PC recently and found that I had left several protective plastic strips on my GPU when I installed it. Apparently, EVGA believes that they need to protect every smooth surface on their GTX 470 SuperClocked GPUs. I didn't even know there were protective strips on the card until I pulled the card in preparation for MB/CPU upgrade. After a year or two of life inside my box, the little protective plastic strips started to peel up along the edges.

Now I have an upgraded PC with a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Blu-ray burner, and an old GPU that looks good as new!

Moral of the story? Might want to check and see if there are any plastic strips that you didn't remove while installing your GPU. These GPUs get super-hot (my GTX 470 idles at 70C because Nvidia never figured out how to limit power to the GPU in a dual-monitor setup), so it makes sense that a stray bit of plastic could be coming in contact with a hot heatsink.

dency45

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Uhm, the voltage is not the one who can kill a person. It is the amount of ampere that will travel in the human body across your heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.