Question Why does my computer very often reboot at night?

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Not every night, but frequently, I'll find that my computer has rebooted overnight. Sometimes it's windows update, but for example it has rebooted each of the last 3 nights and the update history only shows an update on one day. Any idea how I can find out the culprit?

Colif

Win 11 Master
why do you leave it on? i always turn my pc off if I am not using it or if I am asleep.

Did you look in event viewer and see if the last 3 nights show any unexpected restarts.
it might also show in reliability history.
might show in scheduled tasks. Perhaps something is requesting a restart.

what are specs of the PC?

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
why do you leave it on? i always turn my pc off if I am not using it or if I am asleep.

Did you look in event viewer and see if the last 3 nights show any unexpected restarts.
it might also show in reliability history.
might show in scheduled tasks. Perhaps something is requesting a restart.

what are specs of the PC?

It's just the way I operate I guess, it takes valuable time to get all my programs up and running again, not to mention rebooting. Anyway, I'll check event viewer. I didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks for the lead. I can't remember the exact specs, but it was a pretty high end desktop as of a few years ago when I put it together. Anything in particular you are thinking of with respect to hardware?

Colif

Win 11 Master
win 10 by default uses fast startup which might reduce the need to start everything again as it saves the state of everything at shut down and reloads it again on startup.
if you have an ssd and a fairly recent PC the start time isn't that bad really.
Fast startup isn't as useful on pc with ssd or nvme as they fast enough to not noitce the difference. I turned the feature off on my pc as it wouldn't make any difference.

event viewer will have a lot of warnings and errors in it, that is actually normal. Most of them are one offs and can be ignored, but its still a good place to look if you having restarts. It might offer a clue

I was just mostly curious what you had. It might help.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Found this in reliability logs:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffff9989660af028, 0x00000000b2000000, 0x0000000000010005). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060721-10500-01.dmp. Report Id: 203db7fe-7cc4-4222-8082-c3e2c1cde798.

Any suggestions on how to run this down?

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
i can already guess what crash dump will show, I recognise that bugcheck code
The bugcheck was: 0x00000124
124 = WHEA error
WHEA - Windows Hardware Error Architecture

Can you give me a break down of what parts are in PC?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, the dump results can be found here. I'm posting the results for Colif to read. It was a WHEA error (often the CPU is at fault).

The dump was created on Jun 14 2021 at 12:23:05. The system had been running 3 Days, 17 Hours, 39 Mins, and 39 Secs when it crashed.

Studio One.exe was mentioned in the crash, but usually software is not the issue. It's just what was running when the system crashed. Hardware or drivers are the issue.

Here's a link to a dump from last night. Let me know if you can see it, thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ctwvri0p4yots0/061421-6921-01.dmp?dl=0

Whether you figure your issue out or not, I strongly urge you to start shutting down your pc when going to sleep. The 6-8 hours you sleep per night while the system is running is taking months/years of life off of the pc. Especially the fans. I mean if you have money to replace stuff consistently due to wear n tear, sure leave it running. But even the gpu, cpu, ram, its all having life sucked out of them even when theyre not in use. Not to mention, restarting your pc daily is just good for the pc. Clearing out old memory files that build up, etc.

Win 10 on a SSD, it takes like not even a full minute to start up. Are you using an SSD or HDD? My 1st pc ever, I let it stay on constantly because if I shut it off, it wouldnt start back up half the time. Weird issues with that pc but yea. Also I had an HDD which made rebooting take upwards of 10 minutes when it actually did restart. Id understand then. But if you have an SSD and have spent good money on your PC, do it and yourself a favor, and just shut it down when not in use.

Colif

Win 11 Master
BIOS updates can fix whea errors
its funny studio one crashed as I was wondering what these were
All parts of studio one. Could check if newer versions.
what WIFI card do you have?
Jul 29 2019rtwlanu.sysRealtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver

this isn't a win 10 driver, its too old
May 03 2012GEARAspiWDM.sysGear Software Advanced SCSI Programming Interface Windows Driver Model http://www.gearsoftware.com/

advanced malware detection?
Apr 23 2019amsdk.sys

WHEA errors can either be hardware or device drivers, i am looking at drivers for now.

gardenman

Splendid
I think "Advanced Malware" (amsdk.sys) is used by multiple AVs. Notice the "SDK" in the filename, which stands for Software Development Kit. Kind of like the WinSDK which all Windows programmers know about.

So it might be used by Zemana. Probably not Avast or we would have heard of it before.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8812au-software << wifi adapter chipset/driver
Your driver is newer, amazing. Not really amazed, they just changed date of driver package

if anything was a possible cause I would look at WIFI. Can you use ethernet and see if it still happens?

amsdk.sys is made by Zemana - https://www.freefixer.com/library/file/amsdk.sys-291188/

Thanks for helping. I downloaded a thing called Driver Booster and used it to find a number of outdated drivers. I also flashed the BIOS with the latest. Testing without the Wifi card would be rough because I'm actually out in a finished garage room far from the router. I suppose I could just go offline for a few days. The wifi could just be unplugged. It's hard to debug since it can take nearly a week to fail in some cases.

It's notable to me that this just became an issue about 2 weeks ago. Something must have changed, perhaps a windows update? I don't think I installed anything new.

Regarding zemana, it's not really showing up as a driver. Not sure what to do with it. Maybe I'll go poke at it and see if it has an update it's waiting to install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I downloaded a thing called Driver Booster and used it to find a number of outdated drivers.
did you do that now or before? Driver Booster often gets the drivers wrong, it can cause more problems than fix. I don't recommend any 3rd party driver programs apart from Driverview, as it only looks. It lets you identify old drivers, but you have to find them yourself. Much safer.

Mastiff37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
did you do that now or before? Driver Booster often gets the drivers wrong, it can cause more problems than fix. I don't recommend any 3rd party driver programs apart from Driverview, as it only looks. It lets you identify old drivers, but you have to find them yourself. Much safer.

I did it after the dump you've been looking at. If the crash happens again, I can provide another dump. I didn't blindly let it do its thing; I put eyes on each of them and it seemed to make sense. 6 or 7 total.

I wonder if it's related to Zemana. I opened it and noticed that the last successful scan was a year ago. It may be trying to do a scan at night and causing the crash. Having said that, I was able to manually run it and it completed successfully.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/90kLrh6d/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:062321-6640-01.dmp (Jun 23 2021 - 14:49:38)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: Studio One.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 37 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.