[SOLVED] Why does my CPU fan get noisy while playing

Dec 30, 2021
I just built a PC and it works really well except when my son plays Roblox the fan starts to sound like it is hitting on something but there are no cables near it. Please help thanks?

Solution
Your CPU also has your GPU in the same package. So gaming will heat it up considerably and that means the fan might also speed up.

The way to improve on that is get a much better cooler, one with a bigger and quieter fan. Also set up a custom profile that speeds up the fan and keeps it fast. A fan pulsing up and down is way more annoying than one at a high speed constantly, especially if it's a quiet one on a good cooler.
look at the fan and its housing are their any stray bits of plastic on anything that were not trimmed off properly during manufacture.
Check the mounting screws because if one or more are loose that might be why it makes a noise only when running fast

Dec 30, 2021
Hi

Can you list your components?

e.g. which cpu, which mobo, which case etc
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | $358.77 @ JW Computers
Motherboard | MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $148.77 @ JW Computers
Memory | Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $79.00 @ PC Byte
Storage | Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $49.00 @ Amazon Australia
Case | Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case | $49.00 @ PLE Computers
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $95.00

Thanks

So you are using the iGPU on the CPU?

What cooler do you have installed?

Roblox is known for CPU spikes, do you have the same problem with other loads on the cpu e.g. games?

Your CPU also has your GPU in the same package. So gaming will heat it up considerably and that means the fan might also speed up.

The way to improve on that is get a much better cooler, one with a bigger and quieter fan. Also set up a custom profile that speeds up the fan and keeps it fast. A fan pulsing up and down is way more annoying than one at a high speed constantly, especially if it's a quiet one on a good cooler.

Solution
Dec 30, 2021

Could you please give me some suggestions for a good cooler? Thank you

Could you please give me some suggestions for a good cooler? Thank you
Your case doesn't look like a good candidate for an AIO but it should fit a large tower type fairly well. Still, no need to go HUGE for that APU...I'd suggest BeQuiet Shadow Rock 3 is a good candidate. Or maybe Noctua NH-U12S which comes in a ChromaxBlack variant too, although a bit more costly.

They may be more than you need now but still not too expensive (especially the BeQuiet) and you'll be in good shape if you decide to upgrade to a 5600X and much more powerful discrete GPU in the future.

If you want to keep it cheap, then the old standby CoolerMaster Hyper212 would do well enough.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021
Your case doesn't look like a good candidate for an AIO but it should fit a large tower type fairly well. Still, no need to go HUGE for that APU...I'd suggest BeQuiet Shadow Rock 3 is a good candidate. Or maybe Noctua NH-U12S which comes in a ChromaxBlack variant too, although a bit more costly.

They may be more than you need now but still not too expensive (especially the BeQuiet) and you'll be in good shape if you decide to upgrade to a 5600X and much more powerful discrete GPU in the future.

If you want to keep it cheap, then the old standby CoolerMaster Hyper212 would do well enough.
This is the first PC that I have built so please excuse my silly questions but would the be quiet shadow rock 3 replace the fan that came with the cpu?