[SOLVED] Why does my DDR4 memory have 2133Mhz when I saved it at 3200Mhz?

Sep 20, 2022
My motherboard (MSI B450M Bazooka Max Wifi) can support speeds up to around 4000Mhz and my ram(T-Force 16gb) can go to 3200Mhz. I have 4, 8gb sticks totaling up to 32gb of ram. I have enabled the XMP profile and have saved everything within the DDR4 pretty much to 3200Mhz. The only thing that could work is changing voltage but I have heard that it could cause damage to your PC. My DDR4 Voltage is 1.216 and I have heard that 1.35V is needed to work with 3200Mhz. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Solution
You are trying to run 4x sticks on Zen+ architecture. That's the same as a Ryzen 2000 series. That rarely works out well, if at all. 3200MHz is also pushing your luck, a lot.
Most likely regardless of how you want the bios to be set at, it's not stable at post so is defaulting to the DDR4 2133MHz default.

Zen, Zen+ has an issue when running 4x sticks, the secondary slots (A1/B1) may not allow ram of higher (OC) speeds. Only the Primary slots will be open ended. The secondaries can be capped at a low frequency for stability with fclock settings. Zen2 had far less issues, Zen3 has none.

Try setting XMP but manually change the frequency to 2933MHz as that's the native official memory controller frequency. It may be that 2667MHz is the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what is showing you aren't running at 3200?

Look in CPU Z

should show on memory tab in windows
ErPnNgC.jpg

if you enabled XMP, that should be all you need to do.

Was ram checked to work with motherboard?

Sep 20, 2022
I am seeing it in my BIOS, I did check to see if the ram and my motherboard were compatible as well. I think it may be the voltage change but I am not very sure.

Tom cruise432

BANNED
Sep 13, 2022
This is presuming that your CPU is capable of handling it; otherwise, your computer might not boot. Normally, it should try three to four times before resetting to default if it has trouble booting. On your motherboard, there is a "Clear CMOS" button or jumper that you can use to restore default settings if it doesn't reset on its own.

troyer1234567

Reputable
Dec 31, 2020
My motherboard (MSI B450M Bazooka Max Wifi) can support speeds up to around 4000Mhz and my ram(T-Force 16gb) can go to 3200Mhz. I have 4, 8gb sticks totaling up to 32gb of ram. I have enabled the XMP profile and have saved everything within the DDR4 pretty much to 3200Mhz. The only thing that could work is changing voltage but I have heard that it could cause damage to your PC. My DDR4 Voltage is 1.216 and I have heard that 1.35V is needed to work with 3200Mhz. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Check cpu z, what freq and volt does it show for ram?

The cr2032 battery is used to hold bios settings across full power offs.
If the battery is old or non functioning, startup will revert to defaults.
I doubt this is your issue.

Are all 4 ram sticks from the same single kit?
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
Even the same part numbers is no guarantee of proper operation.

You will likely need to increase the ram voltage in the bios.
Do so a bit at a time.
I would not worry up to 1.35v or possibly more.
Handling 4 sticks vs. two is harder for the motherboard to manage.
You will need to set the individual parameters of timings yourself.

When done,

Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Reactions: Tac 25
Sep 20, 2022

Update: So this could be essential, My PC Specs are..
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400g
Motherboard: MSI b450m Bazooka Max Wifi
Ram: T-Force Delta RGB 16GB ( I have 2 of these)
Memory: Samsung EVO 970 500 GB

I changed my DDR voltage to 1.35 and my DDR4 is still set to 3200Mhz and no change, still says 2133Mhz in BIOS, and in Task Manager. I watched a few YouTube videos and I think my CPU can handle 3200 if I overclock which is what I have been doing but I don't know if I am doing it right. Hopefully this photo can help and if you need any other photos to verify anything please let me know, thanks for all your help so far.
IMG_1756.jpg

Sep 20, 2022
Show screenshot from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections.

Your BIOS screenshot looks fine.
Make sure in Advanced Dram configuration - Command rate is set to 2T.
This is necessary with 4 ram modules.
I think this is what you are talking about.. not sure though. I might try to lower the Mhz to see if my CPU can handle it as well, thanks for getting back to me.
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...88977405993/IMG_1756.jpg?width=840&height=630

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are trying to run 4x sticks on Zen+ architecture. That's the same as a Ryzen 2000 series. That rarely works out well, if at all. 3200MHz is also pushing your luck, a lot.
Most likely regardless of how you want the bios to be set at, it's not stable at post so is defaulting to the DDR4 2133MHz default.

Zen, Zen+ has an issue when running 4x sticks, the secondary slots (A1/B1) may not allow ram of higher (OC) speeds. Only the Primary slots will be open ended. The secondaries can be capped at a low frequency for stability with fclock settings. Zen2 had far less issues, Zen3 has none.

Try setting XMP but manually change the frequency to 2933MHz as that's the native official memory controller frequency. It may be that 2667MHz is the limit. Or it may be that 2133MHz is the only speed allowable with 4x sticks and that memory controller.

Whether the ram is Dual or Single Rank can also be a factor.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution
Sep 20, 2022

Try setting XMP but manually change the frequency to 2933MHz as that's the native official memory controller frequency. It may be that 2667MHz is the limit. Or it may be that 2133MHz is the only speed allowable with 4x sticks and that memory controller.

Whether the ram is Dual or Single Rank can also be a factor.
Yeah changed it to 2666 and it capped out at 2667 or it shows that in taskmanager, most likely gotta upgrade my CPU and actually get a GPU, thanks for your help and everything else who replied.

TRENDING THREADS