[SOLVED] why does my drivers keep re rolling back to previous drivers?

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
i got a rtx 2080 ti ftw3 ultra
i just updated my drivers to 436.15
but for some odd reason the display
just disconnected and the drivers
re rolled itself back to 419.67
this happened like 3 times now i think
whats up with that?

Solution
NO ! That's a hard drive feature, not directly connected to the OEM which I was talking about. By OEM I meant the Original Equipment Manufacturer, e.g. DELL, LENOVO, HP etc.

That OEM partition which you mentioned, is used for recovery purpose when your system fails to boot up. When you insert your recovery disk it will fetch recovery points from this OEM partition and try to restore to the previous restoration points which will be mentioned in this partition.

You can surely delete this partition, but it's NOT recommended. If you manually want to create such partition again then you can do it by booting with Windows Bootable disk.

This partition is there for a reason, deleting it you will loose access to some of the recovery features...
Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Some of the updates might have messed up some settings, IMO. Anyways, manually update the drivers. Do a CLEAN re-install and update of the drivers by using this DDU tool. First, remove all the previous drivers from your system. Do a clean re-install of drivers in SAFE MODE.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Disable or postpone Windows automatic updates for the time being.

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Some of the updates might have messed up some settings, IMO. Anyways, manually update the drivers. Do a CLEAN re-install and update of the drivers by using this DDU tool.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Disable or postpone Windows automatic updates for the time being.
i did use DDU in safe mode uninstalled it and re installed it im using windows 10 1903
after i removed previous drivers i restarted my pc and did a clean re install not long after that display diconnected and it was re rolled i just tried installing it again and now it says "your system requires a DHC driver package" or somthing idk i re installed windows like 3 times ish before i got this problem even than i wasnt even using the DHC pack

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Are you having an OEM prebuilt PC ? Because, DCH drivers are for these OEM systems. Other PCs might need the "Standard" driver version. BOTH these driver types cannot be installed on the same system.

The choice must be done when cleaning the drivers via DDU tool.
i went into disk management and saw an OEM partition i think if i remove it the problem well be resolved?

NO ! That's a hard drive feature, not directly connected to the OEM which I was talking about. By OEM I meant the Original Equipment Manufacturer, e.g. DELL, LENOVO, HP etc.

That OEM partition which you mentioned, is used for recovery purpose when your system fails to boot up. When you insert your recovery disk it will fetch recovery points from this OEM partition and try to restore to the previous restoration points which will be mentioned in this partition.

You can surely delete this partition, but it's NOT recommended. If you manually want to create such partition again then you can do it by booting with Windows Bootable disk.

This partition is there for a reason, deleting it you will loose access to some of the recovery features provided by the manufacturer, remember to keep a windows disc around if you break the machine. Just re-install your windows erasing the whole disk and you will get rid of this partition.

Solution

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015

This partition is there for a reason, deleting it you will loose access to some of the recovery features provided by the manufacturer, remember to keep a windows disc around if you break the machine. Just re-install your windows erasing the whole disk and you will get rid of this partition.

ah ok and no i built this pc myself idk might need to re install windows again because i wasnt getting this issue before

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015

fug it are there any down sides to OEM? i might just stick with it if it doesnt re roll back drivers