Question Why does my frames drop every second, and then go back to normal just to contiune the cycle again every second

eggward1011

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017
I'm sorry if my explanation wasn't as clear but in all the games I play, even Minecraft, I see FPS drops every second. In some games they aren't noticeable, but I can see it when I measure the FPS. In certain games that have more graphic requirements, it always slows down my game every second, and then goes back to its normal frame-rate. I play CSGO, Modern Warfare 2019, Minecraft as I said before, Insurgency Sandstorm, and GTA 4 and GTA 5. I have a Ryzen 5 1600, AMD RX 480 reference, 16GB ram, 1TB WD Blue, and my monitor is an Acer KA270H. I am not sure if it is a case where my hardware cannot run these games or if it is monitor, but i shouldn't be seeing FPS drops in Minecraft, and even then when my FPS goes back to normal on games that have higher graphics, the FPS would drop, and then go right back to 60 frames. I have even tried running on low settings for all the games I play and it still drops my frames every second.

Ralston18

Titan
You have three tools that you can use to observe system performance: Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (you may need to download Process Explorer via Microsoft's website).

Start with Task Manager: Open the window and just observe what your system is doing. Then, leaving the window open but dragged to one side do some light work or internet browsing. Continue watching. Lastly play one or more of the games.

Work through the same process using Resource Monitor and Process Explorer.

Try to spot some activity that corresponds with the FPS drops. The graphical representations may be the most helpful.

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

eggward1011

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017
My PSU is an EVGA 500w 80plus white power supply that I got brand new from 2016. I did recently open up my power supply to clean it, but I've noticed these FPS drops before I cleaned it. I don't have an ssd in my system. Could it be that my 1tb wd blue hard drive is causing the slowdown because it does take a white to get into windows and windows has to constantly keep moving bad sectors and doing diagnostic testing whenever I start up my pc and also running at 100% whenever I play games. Which software should I use to spot the activity when my frames drop? I tried using task manager but it never really works as it doesn't really slow fluctuations.

Last edited: