Why does my good gaming laptop get low fps?

Tom Dyal

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
Hey guys, I recently sold my older lenovo y410p to upgrade to a new lenovo y50. The old one ran games great but the new one, with better hardware, runs games a lot worse.

The specs of the Y50 are:
4th Gen Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4710HQ CPU 2.50GHz
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB

The y410p were:
Everything was the same except the graphics card was an: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 755M 2GB
and its a little smaller and a little thicker.

My battery use is always at high. I just ran a scan for viruses/malware with comodo and malwarebytes and nothing came up. I always have my charger plugged in while playing games. So what do you guys think I should do?

Solution
Your games might be running off of your integrated graphics instead of your graphics card.. If you go into individual program settings in the nvidia control panel you can change it to the dedicated gpu. Even though some games may still list it as using your integrated cpu graphics, you will notice that you are running at the performance of your dedicated gpu.
Run games worse like how? lower FPS?

If you go into your Power Options, try changing to High Performance and see if that helps. (you may have already done that if that's what you described)

It's also a minor upgrade power wise, but you also got a bigger resolution now, that will use more graphics power. Try running games a 1600x900 resolution and see if that turns back to what you were expecting.

Raxnos

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Your games might be running off of your integrated graphics instead of your graphics card.. If you go into individual program settings in the nvidia control panel you can change it to the dedicated gpu. Even though some games may still list it as using your integrated cpu graphics, you will notice that you are running at the performance of your dedicated gpu.

Solution

Tom Dyal

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
So I tried going under my manage 3D settings > Program settings and it was on use global settings auto select Nvidia GPU. I tried changing it to high performance Nvidia processor and then running Minecraft. It didnt make a difference. Then I tried integrated which also didnt change the fps. Was I supposed to restart in between?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Just to check, you are using it on a table or something solid and not your bed quilt or something. Basically just make sure it's getting adequate air flow. But it's more likely the performance/battery saving setting.

JaredM7

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

I was just wondering, what do you mean restart? like restart the computer after you change it? because im having the same problem he had

Raxnos

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Pretty much