Question Why does my GPU appear to be crooked when viewed from the top?

Mar 29, 2024
I've been experiencing heavy input lag and desync issues in Valorant despite playing on 240 fps/hz. I've tried many, many software tweaks like playing with settings, redownloading drivers, and have formatted my PC several times. I've reseated components umpteen times, and despite going through my 3rd PC build, this issue has still persisted.

One thing i've noticed since my last build, and now my current build is that the GPU appears to be crooked when viewed from the top.
It looks like the right side is inserted deeper than the left, but upon closer inspection at the connection point the GPU seems to be fully connected. I've tried reseated the GPU several times and it remains the same way. I tried reseating the motherboard several times and same result. I tried running the whole PC outside of the chassis on the motherboard box and the same symptoms occurred so I dont think theres any actual issue with the GPU, but i'm curious why it appears to be crooked like this or if this is normal.

Perhaps i'm obsessing over the wrong thing, and this is completely unrelated. If not this, then what could be causing my issues?

I've posted the images here:

View: https://imgur.com/a/xIofQSD

Mar 29, 2024
I've been experiencing heavy input lag and desync issues in Valorant despite playing on 240 fps/hz. I've tried many, many software tweaks like playing with settings, redownloading drivers, and have formatted my PC several times. I've reseated components umpteen times, and despite going through my 3rd PC build, this issue has still persisted.

One thing i've noticed since my last build, and now my current build is that the GPU appears to be crooked when viewed from the top.
It looks like the right side is inserted deeper than the left, but upon closer inspection at the connection point the GPU seems to be fully connected. I've tried reseated the GPU several times and it remains the same way. I tried reseating the motherboard several times and same result. I tried running the whole PC outside of the chassis on the motherboard box and the same symptoms occurred so I dont think theres any actual issue with the GPU, but i'm curious why it appears to be crooked like this or if this is normal.

Perhaps i'm obsessing over the wrong thing, and this is completely unrelated. If not this, then what could be causing my issues?

I've posted the images here:

View: https://imgur.com/a/xIofQSD
now days the build quality is kind of bad on motherboards, but it's ok as long it check full in the pcie slot, i think you see it like that because has that lock mechanism there and gets a little higer because of that plasticy thing.

You could put a strait edge across the case and measure the distance between the front of the card and the back. This would offer empirical proof of it being crooked in the case instead of a subjective eye ball. A yard stick and tape measure, Normal home found things, will get you a close enough measurement. We are not talking about machining here so a little variance will not hurt.

Reactions: jonny0808

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can see that the PCIe expansion slots are under pretty heavy stress trying to pull that card to the back of the case.

Are you sure you properly installed all of the motherboard standoffs?

Wouldn't hurt to check if the chassis itself is still square.

Mar 29, 2024
You could put a strait edge across the case and measure the distance between the front of the card and the back. This would offer empirical proof of it being crooked in the case instead of a subjective eye ball. A yard stick and tape measure, Normal home found things, will get you a close enough measurement. We are not talking about machining here so a little variance will not hurt.
hmm ill try this later today

Mar 29, 2024
I can see that the PCIe expansion slots are under pretty heavy stress trying to pull that card to the back of the case.

Are you sure you properly installed all of the motherboard standoffs?

Wouldn't hurt to check if the chassis itself is still square.

The case im using is the lian li o11 dynamic (the older model). The 9 standoffs are already pre-installed for ATX, and I verified that theres no extras or standoffs in the wrong place. The motherboard when sitting on the case has all standoffs appearing perfectly centered through the holes and the pre-installed IO shield lines up nicely with the case. This IO shield doesnt appear to press into the case rather just lays flat against it (so it seems).