[SOLVED] Why does my GPU malfunction ?

Feb 5, 2022
Basically I installed the latest Windows 11 update and on the same day installed a new fan in the pc and when I wanted to play Gta V the pc was going crazy(85 celsius degrees constantly, the frames were slightly better but it was working at full scale for no reason), I was receiving crashes, the monitor stopped from getting signal. At that moment I have removed the last update of the windows and unplugged the gpu and plugged it back in. After this I no longer get "no signal" error but the gpu is working at full scale even when it is not needed, for instance the idle temperature is now 60 celsius degrees and when I try to join a game that does not consume the specs, I personally tried Among Us, the gpu's temperature makes its way to 80 celsius degrees in a span of 7 seconds. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Solution
Oh lord, that PSU. nJoy is notorious for selling cheap garbage, robbing mainly people in southeast Europe. It's not 80 Plus; they now simply claim "meets 80 Plus" when in the past they actually have done things like add the logo illegally or making up their own "80 Plus" logo. They don't actually have any 80 Plus accreditation.

And as can be seen from the label, it's a horribly junky fake 650W PSU. Even in a best-case scenario, it barely has 500W of +12V power (any competent modern PSU that should be running this GPU will be able to pull +12V power all the way or nearly all the way to the rated spec). I'd be interested in seeing if they're still using Chinese capacitors so dodgy that the name of the company seems to only exist on the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard?

the gpu is working at full scale
Can you elaborate on this line? What do you mean by full scale?

Feb 5, 2022
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: Gygabite B450M
Ram: 16Gb Ram T force Delta 3200 MHz Cl 16
SSD/HDD: both (windows is installed on my ssd)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Strix ASUS GDDR5 256 bit 4GB
PSU: nJoy Wooden 650W 80+ Gold (New)
Chassis: Floston Pandora SE
Monitor: Benq zowie Xl2411p
Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. F50, 27/11/2019
(have had this version for a while, I'm pretty sure it's not because of this since it happened right after the w11 update)

By Full scale I mean the GPU is working like it always runs at maximum capacity, the temperature is 60-70 degrees celsius while idling and 80 while playing low-end games like Among Us. I tried to run Mortal Kombat 1 hour earlier and I got 95 degress celsius for the temperature, I instantly quit it, this is not something it used to do 2 days ago.

Feb 5, 2022
What fan? A new case fan? A new CPU cooler with fan? A new fan for graphics card? What?
Can you show any photos of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

A new case fan, which is unlikely to have such impact, it's neither a CPU or GPU fan, it's just for the case air flow, sure I can: View: https://imgur.com/a/3ZkqNLJ

The fan I have re-installed is the one that has the red color while turned on, on the second image

Feb 5, 2022
I tried removing all the dust I could, still same issue, tried re-plugging the video card, no fix, tried removing the windows update and installing it again, didn't work, now I'm trying to downgrade back to windows 10 to see if the issue will still persist

Feb 5, 2022
Update: I installed Windows 10 and it's almost the same experience, now instead of 85 degrees while playing Among Us I get 70 and 144 fps. But if I launch mortal combat the temperature jumps to 95 degrees.

InvalidError

Titan
Either the GPU heatsink isn't installed properly or case airflow is letting hot air stagnate around the GPU which makes the GPU re-ingest too much of its hot exhaust. Remove the side panel, point a desk fan at the area under the GPU and if temperatures drop, you have a hot air bubble problem.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh lord, that PSU. nJoy is notorious for selling cheap garbage, robbing mainly people in southeast Europe. It's not 80 Plus; they now simply claim "meets 80 Plus" when in the past they actually have done things like add the logo illegally or making up their own "80 Plus" logo. They don't actually have any 80 Plus accreditation.

And as can be seen from the label, it's a horribly junky fake 650W PSU. Even in a best-case scenario, it barely has 500W of +12V power (any competent modern PSU that should be running this GPU will be able to pull +12V power all the way or nearly all the way to the rated spec). I'd be interested in seeing if they're still using Chinese capacitors so dodgy that the name of the company seems to only exist on the capacitors inside their PSUs.

Hard to do much with a junk PSU in the mix. It can be causing no signals directly or indirectly by damaging the GPU. The next step is to install a PSU that can safely power this GPU, re-evaluate the situation, and hope the PSU hasn't simply shortened the life of the GPU, which is very likely.

Solution
Feb 5, 2022
Reduce gpu overclock to Nvidia reference clocks.
Base Clock 1127 MHz​
Boost Clock 1216 MHz​

I will try it later on, since I'm trying to see whether the pc will work if I let it cool of.

Either the GPU heatsink isn't installed properly or case airflow is letting hot air stagnate around the GPU which makes the GPU re-ingest too much of its hot exhaust. Remove the side panel, point a desk fan at the area under the GPU and if temperatures drop, you have a hot air bubble problem.

I tried using a fan to see if the issue persists and yes it does... about the heatsink I am not sure since I tried installing and reinstalling the Gpu a couple of times, it should not be a problem.

And as can be seen from the label, it's a horribly junky fake 650W PSU. Even in a best-case scenario, it barely has 500W of +12V power (any competent modern PSU that should be running this GPU will be able to pull +12V power all the way or nearly all the way to the rated spec). I'd be interested in seeing if they're still using Chinese capacitors so dodgy that the name of the company seems to only exist on the capacitors inside their PSUs.

Hard to do much with a junk PSU in the mix. It can be causing no signals directly or indirectly by damaging the GPU. The next step is to install a PSU that can safely power this GPU, re-evaluate the situation, and hope the PSU hasn't simply shortened the life of the GPU, which is very likely.

I will be looking forward into the PSU suggestion too, didn't know that about the nJoy brand, the more you know.

I really appreciate all your efforts put into this, at this point I'm thinking of trying to see whether the video card is damaged or not and fix it if possible, On Monday I'll be seeing someone for the video card to diagnose the issue more thoroughly.

Last edited: