[SOLVED] Why does my KVM not switch my mouse?

dorlow

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I'm not sure which forum to put this in. Figure the display forum would more likely be KVM aware people.

But, I have a KVM that switches between 2 PCs. Everything switches correctly except for the mouse. The mouse used to work. I had it plugged into the port just for the mouse on the KVM. That worked for a while but then quit working. I then moved it to a hub on one of the other usb ports on the kvm. That seemed to work for a while too. One of the computers now it works and the other one gives me a pop up often stating there are too many hubs in series. I only have one USB hub. I know that one physical USB hub could have many logical hubs inside. So, I'm always trying to plug it into the furthest left port. But, I have a webcam also plugged into the USB switch and it works flawlessly when switching PCs.

Right now I just keep unplugging the usb receiver from the pc and laptop and swapping them as I switch between the computers. Just really annoying when the KVM is supposed to do that (and it used to work.)

Solution
USB hubs/switches: power source?

Host PC or is the USB hub independently powered?

As for the wireless mouse that could be a matter of transmission strength to and from the mouse.

Try fresh batteries in the wireless mouse and/or using a USB extension cable to move the wireless mouse dongle up and away from the host computer.

dorlow

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Well, I just switched from a wireless mouse to a wired mouse and the kvm switches just fine with the mouse. But, why would a wireless mouse just quit working with the switching? Also, I've replaced the mouse recently because the last mouse was acting weird.

Ralston18

Titan
USB hubs/switches: power source?

Host PC or is the USB hub independently powered?

As for the wireless mouse that could be a matter of transmission strength to and from the mouse.

Try fresh batteries in the wireless mouse and/or using a USB extension cable to move the wireless mouse dongle up and away from the host computer.

Solution
Aug 24, 2021
I've done some research on this. The external power may help and also keeping the mouse close to to wireless receiver. The problem with most modern KVM's is that they are designed to only support one way communication and a wireless mouse needs two way communication. I believe you need a KVM switch with peripheral sharing (2 way communication). I just ordered an IOGEAR GUS432, haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.