Why does my laptop keep disconnecting from my WiFi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MB_Lettuce

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hey everyone so I have quite a frustrating problem here. I have this router here so if you guys need more information there is a link to it at the end of this. My problem is this: I am well within the range of the router so I really do not think range is the problem. The other devices that are on the router are: An Xbox 360, a desktop computer, and sometimes a Galaxy phone or two. The amount of devices connected seems to have no bearing on whether I lose connectivity or not. And the other devices such as the computer never lose connection so I think it might be my laptop. When I first got the router about 1 month ago it was fine and I never had any problems until about a week into having it. I found a way to fix this but it never stays fixed. All I do is disconnect my laptop from the WiFi and reconnect and it can stay fixed anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours. Please help because this is extremely frustrating. If you need to know more please ask. Edit: To specify on what I mean by losing connection. The network become limited and a quick disconnect and reconnect on my laptop is how I fix it temporarily. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-n750-dual-band-wireless-n-gigabit-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/6263799.p?id=1218725177432&skuId=6263799

portland99

Reputable
May 16, 2015

I had this same issue. I tried many things but they did not help. Then I tried turning down the wireless router transmitter to 50% strength. You can find this in the settings page. Call your provider if you can't find it. That seems to have solved the problem. I assume that the router was overheating and shutting down to cool off. Perhaps dust accumulates inside the router.

roguelycan

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
This has been an issue I have run into over the last 4 or 5 weeks. Started while I was using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and continued even after doing a clean install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit. Seemed to start after I ran a large number of Windows updates while still running Win 7. I am using a Linksys EA6300 router with a Netgear AC6200 adapter. I have 2 identical adapters and am having the same issue regardless which one I use. I have tried different USB ports (2.0 and 3.0) with no changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.