Question Why does my monitor say "No Signal" or even my PC completely restarts when starting any game?

homies1337

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
UPDATE: The plan was to replace my 400W PSU with my brothers 750W PSU from his previous PC but my case is significantly smaller than his and the PSU didnt fit. Since I only bought this pre-built about a month ago, I will try and return it and get a refund for a better PC, this time actually checking the PSU more thoroughly. Still appreciate the help guys!:)

So here's the deal: Yesterday I was playing Dying Light and it just suddenly crashed but I really didnt think much of it so I just watched YT. Then I tried booting up The Sims 4 because I had installed my own music into the game and wanted to try it out but after it was done loading and I was able to play, my monitor went dark and said No Signal and then my PC quickly restarted and I was now on the log in screen. This kind of annoyed/scared me since I only bought this PC like a month ago. Then I tried launching Thief Simulator, CS:GO and Mad Max, and it was the same thing that happened with The Sims, but this time it even 'crashed/restarted' faster. I searched around and many people suggested checking to see if any of my fans have too much dust in them which could have caused my GPU to bug out, and when I opened my PC I [bad language removed] you not there was not a single piece of dust in any of the fans, however I still tried blowing any dust out that could have been hiding but nothing came out.

But when I plugged my PC back in I just tried starting up Thief Simulator again and noticed that instead of it booting up in 1920x1080 as it usually does, it booted up in 1176xsomething. I just kind of stood back a bit and nothing happened and everything was looking fine but as soon as I changed my res to 1920x1080 the monitor said No Signal and went dark, however I could still hear the game in my headphones and when I pressed Alt+F4 the sound went away indicating that the game was actually running. I had to restart my PC and now i'm here.

I can browse around the web, watch YouTube as much as I want and everything is fine and normal but as soon as I start up a game it either cuts the signal of my monitor or completely restarts my PC. No matter what game. I was also literally playing several matches on CS:GO earlier yesterday and everything was fine. And yes I tried updating the driver for my graphics card but that didnt fix it either. I tried running the FurMark benchmark and even then my PC crashed and restarted after only like 10-15 seconds. I haven't changed any of my hardware settings like overclocking etc. All I actually kind of changed was the max GPU temp from 83 to 80, but I changed it back to default and the problems still continue even tho I dont think that could have contributed to the problem. Btw my specs are:

PRE-BUILT:

i5-10400F

RTX 2060 Super

16GB Ram

512 SSD

400W Power Supply

When googling around some people said that the problem could be from the power supply. But I want to be a 100% sure of what the problem is before making any new hardware purchases etc. I just want to know what in the PC could have had a malfunction after only having it for like a month. Btw the monitor is a brand new AOC 24G2U even though I dont think at all that the problem lies in the monitor.

Last edited:

homies1337

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
Try running msi afterburner and turning the power all the way down for your GPU, if you can play games (at lower FPS obviously) it's a pretty good indication that indeed your PSU can't provide enough power for full speed.
So I turned the GPU power to the absolute lowest and tried 3 different games and the same thing happened. Could the problem still lie in the power supply? I'm sorry I really dont know much about this stuff, I know a fair bit about computers but not when it comes down to the specs and hardware issues.

So I turned the GPU power to the absolute lowest and tried 3 different games and the same thing happened. Could the problem still lie in the power supply? I'm sorry I really dont know much about this stuff, I know a fair bit about computers but not when it comes down to the specs and hardware issues.

Replace that power supply IMMEDIATELY! I'm surprised it even worked at all.