Question Why does my motherboard give me a slight electric shock, but only when it's idle or off ?

Oct 13, 2024
When I shut down my PC but leave the PSU turned on, I notice that the motherboard gives off a slight electric shock. However, the PC case doesn't shock, only the motherboard. Is this because there's no proper grounding, or could there be another issue?

When the PC is fully powered on, the motherboard doesn't shock anymore, but even when the PC is idle, sometimes the motherboard still shocks. Does anyone know why this happens? thanks.

Specs
Mobo: Maxsun Terminator B550M
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: 16GB 3600mhz
PSU: Antec Meta v550

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I notice that the motherboard gives off a slight electric shock.
Please elaborate on this line.

Is this because there's no proper grounding, or could there be another issue?
Is your wall outlet grounded? If not, then you're going to look at a more costly bill than a tingle from you grounding the system.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well as the age of the unit.

Moved thread from Components section to Systems section.

Reactions: Verthra
Oct 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I notice that the motherboard gives off a slight electric shock.
Please elaborate on this line.

Is this because there's no proper grounding, or could there be another issue?
Is your wall outlet grounded? If not, then you're going to look at a more costly bill than a tingle from you grounding the system.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU as well as the age of the unit.

Moved thread from Components section to Systems section.
No, my PC doesn’t have grounding yet, but can lack of grounding actually cause the motherboard to shock? As far as I know, lack of grounding usually only affects the casing; in my case, it’s just the motherboard that’s shocking. I’m using an Antec Meta V550 PSU, and I just built this PC less than a week ago.

If grounding is the problem, can I just ground it to the PC casing? But would that really help since it’s the motherboard that’s shocking, not the casing?

Thank you, and please let me know if I’ve got anything wrong, as I’m still new to this.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
No, my PC doesn’t have grounding yet, but can lack of grounding actually cause the motherboard to shock?
Yes. You're probably feeling a leakage current from the Class-Y capacitors inside the ATX PSU that form a capacitive divider across Line and Neutral, with the centre point of the divider connected to the chassis. These capacitors are designed to reduce RFI generated by the PSU and the leakage current (a few mA at most) is normally shunted to ground.

Not only does the lack of a proper mains earth on the ATX PSU mean the case is electrically floating, it also means that if something goes badly wrong inside the PSU and the Line input touches the metalwork, the fuse/breaker probably won't trip and you might get electrocuted.

ATX PSUs are designed to be earthed. Don't be foolish and ask a trained electrician to fix your house wiring ASAP.