Question Why does my motherboard keep frying

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
So this is my third time trying to build my computer, I sold my old one due to money reasons and thought I would pick up the portable VELKA 3 ITX case. How ever every time I close the case I end up frying the motherboard some how. I am currently using the rog strix b450-i board and have replaced it twice with the third one frying on me AGAIN. I made sure to be super careful while putting it together, it worked all the way up untill the end I literally tested it before I screws in the side pannels and every thing worked fine I posted and every thing. 10 minutes after that I had the whole case ready to go I got everything set up and to my believe, no post. I took every thing apart and tested just the bare minimum parts, no post. I even reset the bios, no post. My question is, if the board is just poor in general. I'm pretty sure it fried for a third time because litterly no no heat is coming off anything. However the orange/red and rgb lights are still working. I think I'm just going to refund the motherboard and try a different one. What do you guys think?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JQjYTC

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
This is very likely a power issue (short?), not a motherboard issue. Have you tried running the motherboard/components outside of the case?
Yes I'm very confident that it is not a power isuue, as my parts worked perfectly fine before I threw the side pannels on, and yes I took every thing apart and tried turning it and I never posted I waited about 20 mins and nothing happend.

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
I wanted to see if my parts were over heating so I quickly turned the system off in plugged and felt my CPU and noticed it was stone cold, so I'm very confident my mother bored ffried again, and yes every thing was plugged in I'm a very experienced builder.

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
Power issue as in a short. Like caused by an extra standoff or a crosswired connection. What parts are common across all attempts to build the system?
[/QUO
Power issue as in a short. Like caused by an extra standoff or a crosswired connection. What parts are common across all attempts to build the system?
Ahh yes I definitely agree that a short is going on, all parts are consitant with each other
So the Asus motherboard
An and 5th gen amd cpu
1660ti
Fx350g Silverstone psu
16 gig of Corsair ddr4 low profile ram
A low profile noctua cooler
Velkase velka 3
And a pcie riser. Cable
All these parts are consitant I may believe that the back plate of the velka 3 may be shorting my bored do to it not having any stand offs tho, but on every other build they all come out fine.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014

I agree. Reading the original post, the system was working each time until the side panel was installed, at which time the system fried. If it had been a PSU issue he would have seen that when testing the system, which he didn't. Other hardware was the same. The only thing common is that in every build, the issue occurred as soon as the side panel was installed. Sounds like somehow there could be a metal part on the panel touching an electrical connection or wire and creating the short. The side panel could also be putting stress on some wiring or part, creating a short. Might want to try a different case when you replace the motherboard again. I've built a few ITX systems and things are pretty tight inside, particularly with the wiring.

LordTourettes

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2014
So I went to a PC store and got a new motherboard, and it works perfectly fine, I figured out I was using non cucductive washes to raise it slightly, and that was probably what kept shorting it, however I looked up reviews of the original mother bored and alot of people were saying how easily the motherboard fried. So it was definitely a mix of those two aswell as shoving it in a super tiny case. I'm sticking to this ASRock itx bored and am returning the original mother board thax for the help tho.
I agree. Reading the original post, the system was working each time until the side panel was installed, at which time the system fried. If it had been a PSU issue he would have seen that when testing the system, which he didn't. Other hardware was the same. The only thing common is that in every build, the issue occurred as soon as the side panel was installed. Sounds like somehow there could be a metal part on the panel touching an electrical connection or wire and creating the short. The side panel could also be putting stress on some wiring or part, creating a short. Might want to try a different case when you replace the motherboard again. I've built a few ITX systems and things are pretty tight inside, particularly with the wiring.