[SOLVED] Why does my new built PC keep freezing ?

Dec 2, 2021
Hi All, I work in IT and as part of my job have built a PC to handle watching the footage of the CCTV. I know virtually nothing about building PC's and hardware outside of laptops as most staff here have laptops.

The PC keeps freezing at random times but this basically makes it unusable for the staff members who use it.

I know its not Windows as I have tried multiple hard drives and the freezing issue persists so to me it must be hardware.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz
Integral 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz
Nvidia Geforce rtx3060 12GB GDDR6
Gigabyte H310M S2P motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
ARESGAME 500W Power Supply 80+ Bronze PSU

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The cooler you picked out is inadequate for the processor. To add, you chose the wrong motherboard for the job since the processor is an unlocked K suffix processor(meaning it can be overclocked) but the motherboard chipset won't allow it. You should've looked into a Z390 chipset board while purchasing. On that note, your rams are not going to run at DDR4-3200MHz, more like DDR4-2666MHz due to the chipset.

Lastly, you should've looked into a 650W reliably built PSU to power your entire rig. Frankly, I wish you picked better parts than what's listed above :(

Dec 2, 2021
"Freezing at random times"........

"at random times" ONLY when watching CCTV footage?

or "at random times" when doing anything else....email, looking at this forum, opening an application, doing a virus scan, copying a bunch of files??

It can freeze up watching CCTV footage or browsing the internet or I've even seen it freeze up after start up when just on the desktop.

That type of problem can have a lot of causes........you'd have to dive into Task Manager to see what's going on under the hood. Something may be hogging your CPU cycles or causing a lot of disk activity. Maybe you've got a bunch of stuff running in the background unnecessarily. Maybe a runaway application or process of some type. Could be hardware.....or not, just as easily.

Have you done thorough virus scans?

Have you tested the RAM or the HD for defects?

The PC should start up with NOTHING else running except Windows itself. Do you know what else is running automatically at every startup?

Hi All, I work in IT and as part of my job have built a PC to handle watching the footage of the CCTV. I know virtually nothing about building PC's and hardware outside of laptops as most staff here have laptops.

The PC keeps freezing at random times but this basically makes it unusable for the staff members who use it.

I know its not Windows as I have tried multiple hard drives and the freezing issue persists so to me it must be hardware.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz
Integral 16GB DDR4 RAM 3200MHz
Nvidia Geforce rtx3060 12GB GDDR6
Gigabyte H310M S2P motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
ARESGAME 500W Power Supply 80+ Bronze PSU

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Just a test.
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp.
See if anything changes.

Dec 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The cooler you picked out is inadequate for the processor. To add, you chose the wrong motherboard for the job since the processor is an unlocked K suffix processor(meaning it can be overclocked) but the motherboard chipset won't allow it. You should've looked into a Z390 chipset board while purchasing. On that note, your rams are not going to run at DDR4-3200MHz, more like DDR4-2666MHz due to the chipset.

Lastly, you should've looked into a 650W reliably built PSU to power your entire rig. Frankly, I wish you picked better parts than what's listed above :(

Given that I know nothing about hardware or building PC's I'm not surprised the parts are inadequate. I was given this task with basically zero information to go on.

I swapped the RAM and that's sorted the freezing issue out, I don't intend to overclock the cpu so that doesn't really matter to me. I've been monitoring the cpu temperatures occasionally and they don't really get above 55C so the cooler doesn't seem to be doing to bad a job or is this just a disaster waiting to happen?

I did use a website called newegg.com to work out my PSU wattage and it said that my wattage shouldn't exceed 450w.

Tbh I think even if I'd picked better parts the rig would still be overkill for its intended purpose

If I ever build my own rig for personal use I'll make sure to research properly and get decent parts.

Given what you've said so far, the weak link in your setup is the power supply..........but it's kind of tough to just tell you to replace it right now in anticipation of a bad outcome since it now appears you have no current problems.

500 watts is plenty, but the build quality and long term reliability is another question.

For all we know, any PSU replacement could be a DOA disaster. That's all speculation.

Do you lose your job if the PC has major problems? What are the implications of major problems? A major loss of productivity?

If implications are few , maybe you stay with current components and replace stuff only as necessary.

If budget allows and you tend to lean in favor of preventative maintenance rather than react after the fact, maybe you replace the PSU now.

TRENDING THREADS