[SOLVED] Why does my PC get loud for a few seconds?

Troughy

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
Sometimes I'm just launching a game, then my PC gets really loud for 1-2 seconds, then it gets quiet. Basically I'm too slow to open task manager or motherboard's software. The ,,sound of it'' (I guess it's the fans.) is also random sometimes, gets rly loud then too quiet, etc. We built this computer 2-3 months ago, why is it doing this?
Specs:
ASROCK B450M-HDV R4.0
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570

If you need more information just ask.

Solution
I'd say chances are VERY good that you are using the stock cooler and THAT is why you are hearing and experiencing this. My advice to you, and to ANYBODY using a stock Ryzen cooler, would be to replace it with a more capable aftermarket cooler of some kind. Ignore reviews and opinions saying the stock Ryzen coolers are "good enough" because they are not, and they cause this exact quick up down ramping of the fans and a lack of some performance that would be present with a better cooler due to the behavioral boost profiles. The closer you get to the thermal spec, the more obvious the problems are, but they exist even at overall seemingly "decent" temperatures and it's more than just core temps that affect it. VRM and chipset temperatures...
I'd say chances are VERY good that you are using the stock cooler and THAT is why you are hearing and experiencing this. My advice to you, and to ANYBODY using a stock Ryzen cooler, would be to replace it with a more capable aftermarket cooler of some kind. Ignore reviews and opinions saying the stock Ryzen coolers are "good enough" because they are not, and they cause this exact quick up down ramping of the fans and a lack of some performance that would be present with a better cooler due to the behavioral boost profiles. The closer you get to the thermal spec, the more obvious the problems are, but they exist even at overall seemingly "decent" temperatures and it's more than just core temps that affect it. VRM and chipset temperatures have a direct relationship with boost behavior on Ryzen as well.

I would highly recommend at least a single finstack 140mm cooler like the Thermalright True spirit 140 direct, Noctua NH-U14S, Cryorig H5, or another similar or even higher tiered option.

Also, if you don't have a case cooling configuration that consists of at least a rear and top rear exhaust fan and at least one, preferably two front intake fans, that would be a really wise move as well. Cooling has a tremendous impact on performance when it comes to all flavors of Ryzen product stacks.

Last edited:
Solution
It's noisy because the cpu usage is spiking to 100% to load the game causing the cpu fan to kick up to max speed. You can adjust the fan profile (usually in the BIOS) so it speeds up more gradually or at a higher temp to help reduce the noise.

As Darkbreeze stated above the best solution would involve a cooler upgrade...and maybe some case airflow improvements to go with it.

There's no way to completely avoid a fan speed increase regardless of cooling...especially in summer...but you can make the noise much lower than the stock cooler.

Sometimes I'm just launching a game, then my PC gets really loud for 1-2 seconds, then it gets quiet. Basically I'm too slow to open task manager or motherboard's software. The ,,sound of it'' (I guess it's the fans.) is also random sometimes, gets rly loud then too quiet, etc. We built this computer 2-3 months ago, why is it doing this?
Specs:
ASROCK B450M-HDV R4.0
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570

If you need more information just ask.

I'm going to go against the popular opinion here and suggest it's not the CPU cooler. A lot of games push the CPU cores to the limit and therefore the fan speed should stay spiked if it were truly the CPU core. A good way to test this is run at low graphics settings and low resolution (1080p and lower) and try running the game. This will lead to increased CPU usage as you are less GPU bottlenecked. Or run Prime95 and see if the sound is similar to what you are using.

It might be the profile curve of the fans to quickly ramp and then slow down when starting games. If I were to hazard a guess, I would think it would be your RX570's fan profile. This is sometimes to prevent thermal runaway instability. (Once a chip gets too hot, it's internal resistance increases, which results in more voltage, which results in more heat (repeat))

I'm going to go against the popular opinion here and suggest it's not the CPU cooler.

And you would be wrong, in ANY conversation where the stock Ryzen cooler is being used. Almost regardless of WHAT is being done on the system. It doesn't even matter if it's gaming or just Windows. Every Ryzen system I've built so far has done this EXACT thing, with no gaming, just normal Windows processes and browser usage causes the same behavior even when it's a very good board as the Tomahawk and Tomahawk Max are the primary boards I've used so far along with one ASRock board. So, in truth I don't believe gaming has anything to do with it, although that certainly will make things worse or more noticeable.

The graphics card's fans certainly could be the issue, if they ARE the issue, so it would certainly help to KNOW, without having to guess, which fans are responsible for ramping up when this is heard. I seriously doubt that anybody's graphics card is ramping up to levels of concern while loading a game though. The GPU is not even, maybe barely, used, while a game is loading anyhow. That's almost entirely CPU, memory and storage resources.

poorbugger

Distinguished
I used the same cpu and stock cooler a few months back. I never noticed the loud sound tbh. Temps were hovering around 50 to 60 during gaming. Even with 100% usage, the cpu shouldnt exceed 75C and above on stock clocks. So, it might be something to do with your chassis fans settings. What's the sound you're hearing? It might be from gpu, cpu or case fans. It could be because in the bios, the case fans follows the cpu temps and the big jump causes the sound. Example, at 50C the case fans is set to 30%. But if the cpu says reaches 55C or 60C, case fans is set to 60%. The big jump from 30 to 60 causes the fans to ramp up real quick. Same goes with cpu fan settings in the bios. So i would suggest checking there first. When you open up task manager, it will hog cpu usage for the first few seconds, thus the spike in temps. So check the bios fans settings first.

Yes, I realize that, but what you said was "I used the SAME cpu and stock cooler" and my point was, we don't KNOW yet if they actually DO have the stock cooler or not because they never came back to confirm that suspicion one way or the other. So, without KNOWING what they have, it's awfully hard to say you had the SAME anything, even though we THINK that is probably the case. That is all. And no, I will not "chill out". We don't tell moderators to chill out around here, K? It's a good way to get them riled up when it's totally not necessary. Besides, if I "chill" anymore than I already am, I'm pretty sure my heart will stop.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Yes, I realize that, but what you said was "I used the SAME cpu and stock cooler" and my point was, we don't KNOW yet if they actually DO have the stock cooler or not because they never came back to confirm that suspicion one way or the other. So, without KNOWING what they have, it's awfully hard to say you had the SAME anything, even though we THINK that is probably the case. That is all. And no, I will not "chill out". We don't tell moderators to chill out around here, K? It's a good way to get them riled up when it's totally not necessary. Besides, if I "chill" anymore than I already am, I'm pretty sure my heart will stop.
I mean no offense. When i said i used the same cpu and stock cooler, i meant i also used ryzen 5 2600 but stock cooler. Not implying im using the same cooler as he does. (English isnt my first language). The reason why im sharing my experience of stock cooler is because of this
I'd say chances are VERY good that you are using the stock cooler and THAT is why you are hearing and experiencing this. My advice to you, and to ANYBODY using a stock Ryzen cooler, would be to replace it with a more capable aftermarket cooler of some kind.
Im just saying give the stock cooler a chance first in his case if he is using one before jumping to conclusion to change it. His fans settings may be messed up. Again, i'm just trying to help.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
I mean no offense. When i said i used the same cpu and stock cooler, i meant i also used ryzen 5 2600 but stock cooler. Not implying im using the same cooler as he does. (English isnt my first language). The reason why im sharing my experience of stock cooler is because of this

Im just saying give the stock cooler a chance first in his case if he is using one before jumping to conclusion to change it. His fans settings may be messed up. Again, i'm just trying to help.

I agree. Methodical elimination approach, using various diagnostic programs is the best approach. I never had a CPU fan surge and then ramp down. So that's why I suspected the GPU . I'm not saying Darkbreeze is wrong, and he does have good experience. It's just I never encountered it. Once a game engine is under load, the CPU stays pretty toasty and at a high fan rate, not just startup. In fact the internal all core throttling starts to take place around 70->75C (AIDA64 and Prime95 had similar results), It stays toasty however. But at 95C it hard down clocks to cool down and prevent damage.

However I have seen plenty of GPU's with funky fan profiles. They kick in once the clock and power request go up for a game. In fact there was a known bug with a particular brand RX5700XT GPU that would crank the fans high and then go low on fan rate causing thermal throttling. It was gigabyte or msi IIRC.

Last edited: