[SOLVED] Why does my pc only use 4 cores and 4 threads???

Oct 2, 2020
i have a320m-k and amd ryzen 5 3500x and it only shows 4 cores and 4 threads both on msconfig and taskmanager

Solution
actually my windows didnt get a fresh install after replacing it because my friend said my old windows was already compatible. my old specs coincidentally had 4 cores and 4 threads too so that might be the problem
Do what I said in MSConfig earlier: clear the checkbox beside Number of Processors. That commonly happens with a change of processor in a window's installation. Also be sure to install the AMD chipset drivers.

So, that should fix the problem with not using all your cores but you're quite likely going to have more problems if you don't do a fresh install of Windows. If it doesn't fix it then you will absolutely have to fresh install to do so.
i have a320m-k and amd ryzen 5 3500x and it only shows 4 cores and 4 threads both on msconfig and taskmanager
Have you checked BIOS settings that no cores have been disabled?

In MSConfig it shouldn't show 4 cores. In the BOOT tab, Advanced button it should have the "Number of processors" box unchecked with a grayed out '1' showing in the list box.

Is your BIOS up-to-date? that would be at least rev 5007 for a 3500X processor.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020
Have you checked BIOS settings that no cores have been disabled?

In MSConfig it shouldn't show 4 cores. In the BOOT tab, Advanced button it should have the "Number of processors" box unchecked with a grayed out '1' showing in the list box.

Is your BIOS up-to-date? that would be at least rev 5007 for a 3500X processor.
im not sure how to check if my bios is up to date but yes thats where I checked how many cores my pc is running at

Siusiujuju

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
https://ibb.co/XCT09KF

Bios is July this year, seems recent enough. Open up your case, Do a hardware Bios reset. Locate and do the following.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_A320M-K/E15417_PRIME_A320M-K_UM_V3_WEB.pdf

look at the motherboard Overview, you see number 11 which is the clear Cmos switch, if you aren't sure what to do, scroll down a bit it will tell you.

Oct 2, 2020
Was this Windows installation freshly installed with this mainboard and CPU, or, perhaps a previously used installation with an earlier mainboard/CPU?
actually my windows didnt get a fresh install after replacing it because my friend said my old windows was already compatible. my old specs coincidentally had 4 cores and 4 threads too so that might be the problem

Do what I said in MSConfig earlier: clear the checkbox beside Number of Processors. That commonly happens with a change of processor in a window's installation. Also be sure to install the AMD chipset drivers.

So, that should fix the problem with not using all your cores but you're quite likely going to have more problems if you don't do a fresh install of Windows. If it doesn't fix it then you will absolutely have to fresh install to do so.

Last edited:
Solution