[SOLVED] Why does my pc smell like it’s burning

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 29, 2019
I just build a pc like 3 days ago and while I was gaming I smelt a burning smell and my pc shut down and rebooted I’m not sure what’s happening

Solution
Aside from seeing black soot through the back grating of the PSU you could test it in a less expensive system and see if it does the same. Or if you're willing to take the risk you could always invoke a crash again with the PSU outside the case using a stress test. However, I personally think it would be better just to replace the PSU if you're fairly certain it's the culprit. Whatever you do don't physically open the PSU or stick anything inside of it; capacitors can hold charges for days and could easily kill you if you accidentally discharge it through your body.

Metro_2033_Fan

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
I'd recommend that you buy a better PSU, thermaltake don't make good units, they only have some good ones, but yours isn't a quality one. I wouldn't risk to stress test my PC if the smell comes from the PSU. If the PSU is failing, it may damage something in your PC. Mention your budget for a PSU please.
Seasonic and XFX manufacture most power supplies, while yes EVGA is reliable and I've used them many times: they don't actually manufacture their own and simply rebrand ones produced by Seasonic and XFX. The reason why I suggested Corsair is because all Corsair power supplies are rated for continuous and not just peak load. Yes, you are right about 80+ certificate not equating to reliability and just efficiency. However, manufacturers typically don't cheap out when it comes to mid to higher end products.