Why does my phone act like it's been unplugged and plugged back in?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Two week old iPhone 7+ that randomly likes to act like it's been unplugged while on the charger. It's happened a total of two times. Did this with the included adaptor and my iPad's (and therefore two different lightning cables), but has so far never done it connected to my MacBook (which it rarely is). It will show the big battery icon and go straight back to charging with no issues. I checked the battery section in settings and there's no evidence there that it thinks it was actually unplugged since the last charge time is quite a bit before this occurred. Just wondering what is this? Is it like how, when in use the iPad can go into Not Charging state, but is working as intended.
Also, when booting does the backlight stay on for the entirety of the Apple logo or does it turn itself off/dim during the wait before coming on again before loading the lock screen?
I know I've asked a bunch of questions, but I want to know that everything is all good. Don't want to go exchanging it only to get something worse

Ralston18

Titan
Does the charger plug fit tightly into the current host outlet?

Have you tried recharging the iPhone 7+ on another outlet?

Are you able to try using the two chargers on another iPhone?

Key is to determine if the problem is the outlet, the charger(s), or the iPhone.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Does the charger plug fit tightly into the current host outlet?

Have you tried recharging the iPhone 7+ on another outlet?

Are you able to try using the two chargers on another iPhone?

Key is to determine if the problem is the outlet, the charger(s), or the iPhone.

No other iPhones are available unfortunately. I didn’t notice anything odd with the fit. I will say that my iPad on the same plug and charging hardware has done the not charging thing from what I remember. I think it was this same iPad which also didn’t charge at all overnight when it was plugged into one of the power sockets in my uni room last year even though it had been perfectly happy with the socket all other times. There’s also my controller charger which runs from the same extension lead as my iPad charger has given me the can’t charge light before. My MacBook which was using the same socket my iPhone used day one (I’d unplugged the MacBook by accident) has done he plugged in and not charging thing (the battery in the menu bar actually said that). However all those devices do their jobs done. I don’t know if any of this helps.

Ralston18

Titan
Wall sockets can be troublesome just under normal use. In a uni room who knows what all may have happened to that outlet.

Could simply be a loose wire inside. Sometimes works, sometimes does not.

Contact the building service staff and ask that the outlet be checked by the applicable electricians.

Hopefully they will actually open the outlet to inspect the internal connections and do some other testing on the supporting circuit.

Versus plugging in a lamp, seeing the light go on, say "its' okay" and leave.

As in most cases an intermittent problem will not make an appearance when the repair guide arrives.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Wall sockets can be troublesome just under normal use. In a uni room who knows what all may have happened to that outlet.

Could simply be a loose wire inside. Sometimes works, sometimes does not.

Contact the building service staff and ask that the outlet be checked by the applicable electricians.

Hopefully they will actually open the outlet to inspect the internal connections and do some other testing on the supporting circuit.

Versus plugging in a lamp, seeing the light go on, say "its' okay" and leave.

As in most cases an intermittent problem will not make an appearance when the repair guide arrives.

I no longer live in that uni accommodation, but during my time there there was at least one issue of the phone I had at the time and my iPad just straight saying no to charging. The other issues mentioned in my last comment are from where I am now

Ralston18

Titan
The other question:

"Also, when booting does the backlight stay on for the entirety of the Apple logo or does it turn itself off/dim during the wait before coming on again before loading the lock screen?"

Not familiar with that phone so I did some research aka "google".

Found the following websites:

https://www.payetteforward.com/my-iphone-screen-black-why/

https://www.ikream.com/2019/10/appl...e-logo-boot-loops-troubleshooting-guide-25233

I am not suggesting or endorsing the websites' respective contents as a fix. Just as reference/ general explanation sources that seem to apply to your phone.

A visit to an Apple store is probably needed.