Question why does my printer print twice

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I have a Samsung laser printer ML-2950. Each morning i use it to print one sheet and 2 sheets appear. The first one is what I want, the second one is blank. How can I stop that second one?

Ralston18

Titan
What is that one sheet? Document, spreadsheet, .pdf file?

Open the document and check the lines and margins. The document might actually have a second page due to a blank line that simply prints.

I see that happen fairly often with spreadsheets. There is a blank row that forces a second page and that page prints accordingly.

Another thing to check is headers, footers, cover pages, and so forth. There may be a setting to print a final trailing page as an "End" page.

Except, again, there is nothing on that page.

May also be some stray control character at the end of that one sheet that forces a printer page feed. The control character may or may not be visible so you may need to set the original document to show control characters to see and edit out.

Be sure to do any investigation and editing on a copy of sheet. Protect/backup the original sheet.

If you are using word then this is the answer .. On home where you type look at the paragraph block , in the top right you will see a show/hide button , it looks like a backards P.
Turn it on and you will see some of these symbols that are on the page with nothing printed on it. Delete them from the blank page and resave it.

Last edited:

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013

Open the document and check the lines and margins. The document might actually have a second page due to a blank line that simply prints.

I see that happen fairly often with spreadsheets. There is a blank row that forces a second page and that page prints accordingly.

Another thing to check is headers, footers, cover pages, and so forth. There may be a setting to print a final trailing page as an "End" page.

May also be some stray control character at the end of that one sheet that forces a printer page feed. The control character may or may not be visible so you may need to set the original document to show control characters to see and edit out.

Be sure to do any investigation and editing on a copy of sheet. Protect/backup the original sheet.
I copy a crossword puzzle from my daily newspaper. I use their 'clipping' to print only a section of what i need. ...the crossword p.uzzle ,not the comics that are on the same page.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013

I copy a crossword puzzle from my daily newspaper. I use their 'clipping' to print only a section of what i need. ...the crossword p.uzzle ,not the comics that are on the same page.
Does the print preview show the blank second page?
NO!

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Check your printer settings. If your on a network, there might be a option that says something like "Separate Print Jobs with Blank Page" in the advanced printer properties.

Control panel, Devices & printers, your printer, right-click, Printer properties, Advanced, Separator page

Ralston18

Titan
How do you "copy" the puzzle?

Screen capture or is there some specific allowed download/print function that you can use?

And, if the printer is indeed used and shared by others then the separator page is a likely reason per @MrLitschel

Do you print out the crossword puzzle at work or solely at home on your own printer?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
How do you "copy" the puzzle? My paper gives us the option to create a 'clipping of any part of a page', save it and choose print.

Screen capture or is there some specific allowed download/print function that you can use?

And, if the printer is indeed used and shared by others then the separator page is a likely reason per @MrLitschel Sole user and at home printer. After the initial print that gives me the 2 copies, one hard copy, the other a complete blank one, thereafter, i have no problem making a single sheet print.

Do you print out the crossword puzzle at work or solely at home on your own printer?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Sometimes printer settings also are set to print a Cover Sheet, which happens to be blank, printers invariably can start at the last page, so a cover sheet is printed last.
This morning I tried a different approach. There are 2 pages of Puzzles, this time I chose the second one with the same procedure, "Clipping mode" from the newspaper and I only got the one sheet this time. So then i went to the other page where i have been getting 2 and tried again, hoping that i had somehow changed the setup, but no, I still got the second blank sheet, Its obvious has nothing to do with the printer, to my estimation, but the newspaper software. I would have to call them, unfortunately, I usually get someone from the Philliipines or Packistan, and the results...get lost in translation. But here's hoping.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I found a way around avoiding getting the second blank sheet. First i will like to explain the newspaper software. I go page to page with forward arrows. WHEN I arrive on the page i want, I have the option to see it in single form, which I do, Then to the menu, I choose "Clip' option, where I can rectangle an area that i want, in this case just the puzzle. I get a small pic of the choice and to the right, on top I noticed it says 2 pages. Now why would i get that shown on a single page? I have no way in changing that to one page. It asks me if I want to save. I say yes, and its saved as a Html file. Its saved in my download folder, I open it up and get just the puzzle. I print it out and this time not only do i get a single sheet, but its even clearer than the newspaper version. I do not see a trophy that i could claim for me......LOL.