Question Why does my Raspberry Pi 4 get "bricked", but works fine again on backup restore ?

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
It has happened a couple of times now, usually, if I restore the backup to sdcard it starts working again until it randomly gets bricked again ?

I thought it was because of heat so I installed a fan that keeps temps under 50c on idle, and 60c on load. I don't have a mini HDMI cable, but all connections to the pi including smb server, all containers, and even ssh don't get a response.

So, I replaced the SDcard with an externally powered 1TB Seagate HDD and started booting Raspberry Pi OS from there. It ran for 5 days and bricked yet again yesterday.
All I had running on the pi was Pihole, Netdata, SMB (access the 1TB HDD), and TwitchMiner (mines points on twitch streams).

It has become so frequent, that I have no idea why this is happening. Is there a way to diagnose the issue? Maybe a log I can read or post here?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Any log files?

Not sure about the details per se but it is very likely that you can either enable some existing error logging process or install the necessary app to create viewable logs.

Look in the logs for some error(s) that are likewise becoming more frequent.

Try running for a few days without one program or another. Determine if the "bricking" ends if TwitchMiner (or one of the others) is not running.