Why does my wifi suck? Really?

Bleubird

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I know this may be a commonly asked question, but I want to know why. We have a $200 wireless adapter that puts out dual band. And we have a dual band range extender upstairs. I have a $50 network adapter embedded into my computer. This sounds pretty good, right? But whenever someone, just 1 person is on the WiFi on a PC, while i'm on, my network just absolutely dies. My brother has a cheaper network adapter than me and he usually gets a better connection, yet we're in the same room. It really pisses me off sometimes, that I am lagging like crazy on CS:GO and my brother is playing at 40 ping. My network adapter is the TP-Link N900. My brothers' is the TP-Link N300. Our router is the Linksys EA6900. Our extender is the Linksys N600 or N300 not sure. We have around 8-13 devices on the WiFi at once.

Anything Helps, Thanks for your time!

Solution
Having a extender in the mix greatly reduces the quality of the signal. You are intentionally transmitting over the top of each other. If you have any option to not use it you would be better off with just the router

The main problem with any internal PCI card is the case tends to block the signals. You want to be sure your antennas are facing the router not stuffed under a table against a wall.
Having a extender in the mix greatly reduces the quality of the signal. You are intentionally transmitting over the top of each other. If you have any option to not use it you would be better off with just the router

The main problem with any internal PCI card is the case tends to block the signals. You want to be sure your antennas are facing the router not stuffed under a table against a wall.

Solution

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Try getting all devices possible on the 5Ghz channels. Then set your adapter on whichever frequency gives you the best connection.

You should also set the channel selection to 'auto' on both frequencies (settings are on router), this way your router will choose the channel(s) with the least interference.

5Ghz has many more channels to use, but doesn't go thru obstacles as well.

2.4Ghz can go thru obstacles better but has fewer channels available. If you have lots of neighbors with wireless, you can get lots of interference on 2.4Ghz.