[SOLVED] Why does only one game crash from my OC?

Apr 30, 2021
Hello,

I am experiencing a weird issue right now. I overclocked my i7-10700k to 5.1ghz at 1.34v-1.36v "stable". I've run several benchmarks for extended periods of time. Temps are safe and every game in my library works except for one but other than that it's fine. No BSOD. The game I am referring to is Genshin Impact which is not intensive at all. It's a mobile game that is locked at 60fps so not much utilization is needed.
Whenever I play the game at 5.1ghz the game will randomly crash after 5-30minutes however if I roll it back to 5Ghz or lower it will not crash while every other game works fine at 5.1Ghz.

At the moment I am just swapping OC profiles when I want to play genshin impact. I know overclocks won't be stable with everything as different engines stress the components in different ways but a non-intensive game like genshin on a rig like mine crashing due to an OC is weird while much more intensive applications have no problem. Any thoughts on this?

My PC:
i7-10700k 5.1ghz 1.34-1.36v (Offset 4.7ghz)
RTX3070FE
32GB DDR4 3200mhz

Last edited:
Solution
Could you elaborate?

It's an anti-piracy/cheat measure, like the infamous Denuvo, ring 0 means it works at a kernel level, aka it has a low-lv access meaning it has more permissions than the OS itself. r0 DRMs expect a CPU to run at stock clocks, overclocking or tampering with the OS by disabling stuff makes the DRM lock the game or the computer to prevent piracy or cheating.
This kind of DRM is kind of a "legal" rootkit, it also tends to stress the FPU on the chips and since it's a very specific part of it you can't just overclock it via the BIOS setup, when you overclock the cores the FPU is overclocked as well because it's part of a core itself, but you don't know if it has hit any walls until something fails.

I know...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Could you elaborate?

It's an anti-piracy/cheat measure, like the infamous Denuvo, ring 0 means it works at a kernel level, aka it has a low-lv access meaning it has more permissions than the OS itself. r0 DRMs expect a CPU to run at stock clocks, overclocking or tampering with the OS by disabling stuff makes the DRM lock the game or the computer to prevent piracy or cheating.
This kind of DRM is kind of a "legal" rootkit, it also tends to stress the FPU on the chips and since it's a very specific part of it you can't just overclock it via the BIOS setup, when you overclock the cores the FPU is overclocked as well because it's part of a core itself, but you don't know if it has hit any walls until something fails.

I know overclocks won't be stable with everything as different engines stress the components in different ways
Wrong. Stable overclocks will not have any problems no matter what game or bench is running, the whole point of overclocking is increasing the CPU speed but retaining stability so it's useful.

Underclock, 100MHz won't give you any noticeable performance increase on anything.

Solution