Question Why does Ryzen 7 5800X idle temps rise to 90C ?

Mar 23, 2023
So for the past few weeks we experienced a problem where our cpu temps would spike up to 90C while doing absolutely nothing. We leave it for 5 minutes and some programs fire up and visual studio starts to use the cpu quite a bit. Also noticed that gpu (rtx 3070) spikes up to 100% while idle too. The pc hasn't been changed in any way, still with the stock coolers and it also has liquid cooling for cpu. I was wondering if someone could help us with this, because we have no idea what could be the problem.

Can you be more specific with the make/model of your hardware?

What might have changed since all was well?
One might suspect a bad windows update.

High temperatures will usually be found by some failure in the cooling system . If you are using an aio cooling, the pump might have failed or be clogged.
Air will eventually intrude through the tubes and the unit will need to be replaced.

DaveLTX

Prominent
Aug 14, 2022
Are you running a AIO liquid cooler? This is usually what happens when a AIO liquid cooler's pump fails or is very polluted (see apaltek's problems in lian li, enermax, fractal design etc etc)

Mar 23, 2023
So for the past few weeks we experienced a problem where our cpu temps would spike up to 90C while doing absolutely nothing. We leave it for 5 minutes and some programs fire up and visual studio starts to use the cpu quite a bit. Also noticed that gpu (rtx 3070) spikes up to 100% while idle too. The pc hasn't been changed in any way, still with the stock coolers and it also has liquid cooling for cpu. I was wondering if someone could help us with this, because we have no idea what could be the problem.
I'm also having the same problem for some reason my CPU temps are going crazy reaching 90c. I thought it was my thermal paste so I replaced it. but it still reaching 90c so I thought it was my AIO but it's working just fine. I'm also seeing similar threads with these problems recently. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the CPU which is unlikely but possible.

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
At the time of writing, my 5800X is idling at 22.4C, cooled by a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. You need to take a close look at what processes are running or, buy a new cooler. Take a good look at Task Manager. as a first step.