[SOLVED] Why does this expansion card for M.2 drive come with double sided thermal pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just received my long expected pcie expansion card to allow my pc to add even more space, but then I noticed that this thing comes with double sided thermal pads meant to keep whichever NVMe drive installs in it in place, Guese they thought if they have you clue down your drive that you won't replace the drive later on while using the same expansion card again by just replacing the drive installed in it with another one, while this would only seem possible if the pads aren't all heat molded to the current installed drive.

Anyway this is what my pc setup looks like now:
View: https://imgur.com/mA9MQND

Last edited by a moderator:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
What do you mean "double sided thermal pads"? Thermal pads have to have contact on both sides to work.
Really, if that's the case then doesn't that mean that whatever it comes into contact with won't come clean, say a part has to be replaced or upgraded?

I really don't want to be messing with any removing agents just too swap out a part these things has come into contact with once they have gone hot under load.

Maybe I don't quite understand how thermal pads work, besides dissipating heat, besides that what do you think of my pc, I like to upgrade even more but this is where my setup is at now, tell me what you think.

Just received my long expected pcie expansion card to allow my pc to add even more space, but then I noticed that this thing comes with double sided thermal pads meant to keep whichever NVMe drive installs in it in place, Guese they thought if they have you clue down your drive that you won't replace the drive later on while using the same expansion card again by just replacing the drive installed in it with another one, while this would only seem possible if the pads aren't all heat molded to the current installed drive.

Anyway this is what my pc setup looks like now:
View: https://imgur.com/mA9MQND
So just buy new thermal pads:

There are plenty of thermal pads for sale, just search for them.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Really, if that's the case then doesn't that mean that whatever it comes into contact with won't come clean, say a part has to be replaced or upgraded?

I really don't want to be messing with any removing agents just too swap out a part these things has come into contact with once they have gone hot under load.

Maybe I don't quite understand how thermal pads work, besides dissipating heat, besides that what do you think of my pc, I like to upgrade even more but this is where my setup is at now, tell me what you think.

So just buy new thermal pads:

There are plenty of thermal pads for sale, just search for them.

Yeah great thanks, looking at that now, these Ugreen pcie M.2 expansion card that I got for my pc came with two of those, didn't realize it at first that these thermal pads can be used as cap fillers as well, that's how I got it now, it's not sticking to both sides, just stuck too the heat spreader heat sync that came along with my latest purchase, I have it this way because I don't want any trouble when I am to replace or upgrade the drive that currently occupies the slot in the expansion card.

I think we have cleared up my confusion about the thermal pads, Like I asked above I'm all ears about what people think of my pc with this latest upgrade in place now.

The latest storage upgrade is an WD 1TB NVMe, It's drive D:\, had some work cut out for me when I wanted to make this upgrade as too that I wanted the new drive to be right below the other 930GB in the this pc drive list, everything that was installed had to be reallocated to the new letter E:\ , luckily this was aesy as cake, with the steam, rockstar games launcher, EA app and Ubisoft connect apps.

I thought this was also going to be an 930GB, but this one turned out to be 931GB, strange thing I thought.

Got more than enough free space for the moment again, but I'm guessing it won't hold out for long run, so I'm planning to upgrade later again.

Great pc games are too be had and I'm still having all of it installed and ready to play.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The thermal pad is the interface between the heat source (M.2 drive) and heat dissipator (finned or fan heat sink).

The thermal pad does not dissipate any heat on its own.

So, as the interface layer, it needs to be sticky on both sides.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
The thermal pad is the interface between the heat source (M.2 drive) and heat dissipator (finned or fan heat sink).

The thermal pad does not dissipate any heat on its own.

So, as the interface layer, it needs to be sticky on both sides.

Exactly what I meant to say, just more to the point.

Thanks for clearing that up USAFRet, If you have to look at my pc now, what would you say regarding my latest upgrade?

It's coming along nicely wouldn't you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.